My 5K :)

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

My 5K :)

Postby nelliejean » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:08 pm

I ran my first race in almost 10 years today! I've been training on a treadmill, so since this trail was so hilly, I didn't think I would make my goal of finishing in 30min. I finished in 28!!! :)

I was sad that they fed all the runners non vegan food after the race, but at least I had my banana!
nelliejean

Postby applepie » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:35 pm

Hi,

great time for your first 5k after such a long time!
That's what I find really annoying after the race, everybody's tucking into food they generously provide, and you sort of feel left out.
I always carry my goodie bag along to races so that I know I can have something to eat.

applepie
applepie

Postby ultra_whippet » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:46 pm

Congratulations!!! I know what you mean about the food, I always seem to find a non-vegan chocolate bar in my goodie bag, and just when I'm dying for a sugar boost, too - doh!
ultra_whippet

Postby Notty » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:22 pm

Well done, Nellie Jean - that's great. :D
Notty

Postby runner » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:23 pm

congratulations with your race!!

the thing i don't like is that they give aa-drink with lactose in it also besides the road.. then you want to drink and have to search for water...

but most times thay have water somewere

gatorade and aquarius are vegan i guess
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby Dave Noisy » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:52 am

Woohoo! Good job!

I'm gonna be doing my first 10k in one month..yip!
Dave Noisy

Postby nelliejean » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:48 pm

Thanks for the support everyone!

My goal is to run a 10K this summer and then next October I'm going to participate in a 50mile relay if I can get a team together. I would do 10-15 miles of it, depending on how many members we have. http://www.tusseymountainback.com/

My question is: I found a 10K that is near my house on May 2nd. Would this be a reasonable goal, or is that pushing it too much? I've been running 5-6 miles on the treadmill (incline set to mimic a flat road surface) several times a week and my body didn't seem too phased by the 5K yesterday. Even though there were two major hills on the course, I actually found the race easier than my normal workout. (Maybe because I liked being outside?)

The only reason why I'm a little concerned about this particular 10K is that the course is described as being "difficult" and hilly. (It's on the same course as the relay/ultramarathon above.)

Any thoughts? The next 10K that I could do wouldn't be until Julyish.

Thanks!
nelliejean

Postby runner » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:17 am

hey nellyjean,

i thnk it's a good idea to run outside as well to get the feeling of the road. but you might need other shoes for the road as for your tredmill. What kind of shoes do you use. it's not about the brand it's about how stif they are if they give support. etc...

it depends on your target as well.. if you can run a 5 without trouble a 10k will not be to dificult. for the 10 / 15 miles you'll need to do also some 60 and 90 minutes trainings. just start with a 10 minute warm up. some steching than run on a constand level. and when your back relax 4 minutes. do some streaching and run to cool down 8 minutes..

if this is dificult in the beginning stop at half way and take a walk break of a few minutes.

good luck
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:55 am

For what it's worth, i started running just over a month ago..did 20min runs three times a week for three weeks, now i'm up to 45-60min runs twice a week, and doing the 10K in one month...i'm feeling pretty confident about it.

I've never run before in my life..
Dave Noisy

Postby nelliejean » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:37 am

Thanks for the suggestions! I've decided to up my workouts and start some hill work. (There's a nice BIG hill next to my house... very convenient.) :)

I ran 8 miles today!!!!
nelliejean

Return to Vegan Runners