sprinting

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

sprinting

Postby Jonathan » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:25 pm

i was wondering if anyone else has found that through weightlifting their sprint has become better.
just recently, whilst doing the customary sprint for the tram, i have found that my legs feel like they are floating, and i can sprint so so quickly. not for long mind you, 100metres seems to be my limit, but sooooo fast.
depending on how the athletics stuff in summer goes, i am considering taking it up.

jonathan
[quote="Kathryn"]You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby estaphuam » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:23 pm

Hi jonathan,

I noticed a huge improvement in my sprinting too, especially when I went crazy on squats. The 'floating' effect is amazing. What I did to take it to the extreme is buy ankle weights to run with. That'll get you to sprint like a messenger :)
"And now beside thee, bleating lamb,
I can lie down and sleep;
Or think on Him who bore thy name,
Graze after thee and weep."
estaphuam

Postby Jonathan » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:47 pm

i only seem to sprint when i am trying to catch something, or when i am late. i just keep suprising myself with it. there is a local athletics club, maybe i should get in contact with them.

ankle weights, thats crazy!! that said, my old taekwondo instructor used to prepare for competition sparring by doing the same, and running through all the kicks and what not. once he took the weights off, it felt like his legs floated.

jonathan
[quote="Kathryn"]You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby tylerm » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:32 pm

Jonathan, I noticed the same thing you describe. I hadn't done sprints in a long time, then a couple months ago I jumped the fence to the track at the private school a block from my house at like 1 or 2 am and did some 100m sprints. I started from a dead stop, and gave it my all, and I probably had a look of shock on my face as I ran :D I felt like I was moving in fast forward, I couldn't believe the difference since when I started doing squats and deadlifts.
tylerm

Postby Fruitbat » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:01 pm

Fruitbat

sprinting

Postby Oak » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:59 pm

Squatting will increase your legs explosive power. Probably up to about 2.5x bodyweight or something.

Most of this will be apparent in about the first 20metres or so. When you will bound off like a hyena :lol:

Sprinting seriously has been found to increase your squatting to. But i can't remember if it's quicker than actually squatting? Or if it brings a greater increase if you do both.

Anyway sprinting for at least for 20metres or so is great for powerlifters i think.

Oak :D
Oak

Return to Vegan Runners