Vegan runner

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Vegan runner

Postby phloxy » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:13 pm

Hi! I found out about this forum from the vegan health and fitness listserv and thought I'd pop in. For fitness, my first choice is running, but I like other things, too. Right now I'm training for a marathon, so running is obviously the exercise of choice until the big day in LA, on March 7th.

I've been vegan since 1997. It's clean livin' and I like to stay in great shape so that people can see that veganism is a healthy lifestlye choice.

Looking forward to sharing ideas and motivation!

~phloxy
phloxy

Postby Pete » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:31 pm

Hi phloxy,
welcome onboard & keep us up to date on how the trainings going! I expect we'll get quite a few runners dropping in, so you can exchange training & recovery protocols & any tips you've all stumbled across. Me, I used to run until a dodgy hip forced to to retire from that activity, but even then 6 miles a day was my norm, I can't imagine running marathon distances :!:
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Postby stateofflux » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:11 pm

welcome phloxy

I'm really enjoying running at the moment but it wasn't something that came naturally (and still doesn't) because I was heavily ashtmatic as a kid and into my teens so I did almost no exercise as much as I would have loved to have.

My dad used to run long-distance marathons (like the Comrades Marathon in South Africa which is 90 kms long in the heat! He ran that 3 times) and I remember him training really hard and being wiped out for weeks after such a run:)

Can you post your training program for running? I'm really curious to know how you train. Do you use a heart rate monitor?

Rochelle
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Renecarol25 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:32 am

Hi I'm currently training for a 20K on February 20th.. its almost a half marathon. Which seems like a lot to me as the most I've ran so far is a 10K. I'm training medium runs 4-5 miles 3 days a week, long runs 8-12 miles on Saturdays and sprints on Tuesdays. I'm thinking of doing a couple short races 5K (including a PumpNRun in Feb) between now and then. Though I'm not sure how I'm going to alter my training plan to accommodate that. I may count a race as medium distance run and stick in a long run one day during the week. I think focusing on the 20K should be most important right now.
Renecarol25

Postby stateofflux » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:21 am

Do you train with a heart rate monitor, Renee? How do you run the 4-5 milex 3 days a week- do you train indoors or outdoors?

Rochelle
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Renecarol25 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:32 pm

No I don't use a heart monitor. We run a loop by work (one loop equals 2 miles) run that twice plus there is a smaller loop that we can tack on at the end to add and extra mile to be five miles. I run my four to five miles on my lunch hour. I have a sandwich and fruit afterwards. Actually the run usually takes away my appetite so I'm not as hungry so I find running at lunch to be very helpful. I have an incredible appetite that I have to keep in check unlike other people in this group I have no trouble putting on weight. Right now I do sprints on a treadmill that way I know how fast I am going. I do the sprints at night usually on Tuesdays before yoga. But there is a school with a track next to my Church and when the days get longer I may start up running them there again. Then I do the long easy run on the weekend... Though typically none of my running except the sprints are fast. Except when I have someone at work who runs faster than me to pace me.
Typical weekly workout
Monday and Thursday ~1 hour of lifting in evenings
Tuesday and Friday yoga (6-7/7:30)
Monday, Wednesday, Friday (4-5 miles at lunch)
Tuesdays Sprints before yoga ~mile worth
Saturday long run (or a race)
Sunday rest
Renecarol25

Postby Marathon girl » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:08 pm

Hi Everyone,

A friend sent me the details of this great site so I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Fiona, I live in the UK and a really keen marathon runner. My next event is London where I am hoping to run sub 2hr 50 and am currently training like a mad thing to do so! I also single handedly run an animal sanctuary for over 200 rescued animals and they range from horses to hamsters - www.towerhillstables.com I am a part-time fire-fighter and also help to run the only private (if not only!) animal sanctuary in Russia. It would be great to chat to other vegan endurance atheletes, as it really annoys me that people seem to think that us vegans are not strong or that we are really unhealthy! Good luck with all your training!:twisted:
vegan power!
Marathon girl

Postby Malcolms Billy » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:29 pm

Wicked to see you on the board Fiona! :)

And everyone else: go check out the website, this woman is amazing!! I'm sure you all will get inspired by the weight training Fiona does as well, although not in the nice, clean environment most of us train; squatting with hay bales and deadlifting pitch forkes full of horse shit is a different ball game all together!

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby pam » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:09 pm

Hello everyone. I've also just found this site, so I'm really pleased. I think we are all great adverts for veganism. I can't run very far, but in my lunchtimes twice a week I run 3 miles and other lunchtimes I do kick boxing, aerobics, etc. I'm 54 and I've been a vegan for about 8 years. I did the Flora Light Marathon (5k) for women in September and wore a T-shirt promoting veganism.

Pam
pam

Postby ultra_whippet » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:16 pm

Hi all,

Just thought I'd say hello. Have been vegan for about 2 years, and a runner for the same length of time. And I've never felt better :D
I'm currently trying to get under 1:30 for half-marathon and 40 mins for 10K, I'll let you know how I get on...
ultra_whippet

Postby Renecarol25 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:59 pm

Wow.. I think I'd really like to hit about 1:52 for my 20K. That's about 28 minutes per 5k... about 9 minutes per mile. If I could hold that pace that long..
Renecarol25

Postby roxett » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:05 am

Hello all - I've just discovered this great site...
I am 56, vegetarian for about 6 years and vegan for 2. Got interested in aerobics about 10 years ago to lose weight and became a real gym junkie. Now I jog on the treadmill 5/6 days a week - usually do 5km and then 20 mins weights. Also RPM class and aerobic class once a week. I do my 5k in around 30 mins and I'm pretty happy with that but I must admit a secret yearning to do a marathon or at least a half...wonder if I could?
I was interested to see this site originates from Manchester which is where I was born - a place called Newton Heath - I bet it's really changed since I was last there! Cheers to all.... :)
[/b]
roxett

Postby Malcolms Billy » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:19 am

Hi Roxett!
Welcome aboard :)

[quote="roxett"] secret yearning to do a marathon or at least a half...wonder if I could?

Off course I don't know anything about you, but with you being a gym junkie, you must be pretty fit, so I can't see why you can't at least try to train for a marathon. Do you ever run outside, or just on the treadmill? Running outside is lots different - and nicer!
I've run for a while, and when I just started I was 'coached' by this very kind woman, who let me run with her. She's in her late 50's, didn't start running until she was about 50, and had done 6 marathons in 5 years when she spoke to me about it. Go on, give it a try, that's the only way you'll find out! :)

[quote="roxett"]I was interested to see this site originates from Manchester which is where I was born - a place called Newton Heath - I bet it's really changed since I was last there! Cheers to all.... :)
[/b]

I bet it has too! I used to go through it when going to college. There are a few new developments, but the rest looks quite dilapitated I'm afraid :cry: I think Manchester's great tho.

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby roxett » Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:17 am

[b]Hi Billy -
Yes I used to run only outside - went in quite a lot of fun runs - and then I got a shoulder injury lifting weights and had a bit of a lay off. When I came back to getting fit it was easier to run on the treadmill - safer after work at night, cooler in summer, also easier than outside...and I guess I've just got in a comfort zone :oops: At the moment I'm running 5k 4 times a week plus between 8-11k on Sundays. I know if I go back to jogging outside I won't be able to do those distances and that's another reason I've stuck with the tready....[u]however...if I really decide to give a half marathon a go I'm going to have tobite the bullet and face the elements!...Hhmmm will have to think about it...
Cheers,
Denise
roxett

triathlons

Postby Alien » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:44 am

Hello ALL,
My name is Grant. I am living in Japan and studying at Tokyo University. I do triahlons in the summer and marathlons in the winter. I love running, especially when i get in the top three or first!
Then i tell all i am vegan! It is the best feeling.
i am trying to get a sub 1:10 for a half marathon, which is 3:30/ km. I am hoping to achieve that this year.
oh, i have being vegan for 11 years now, with a vegan society tattoo. The best thing i ever did!

good luck to ALL
I am sooooo happy to find this site;)
swim bike run eat chocolate drink coffee
Alien

Next

Return to Vegan Runners