Bristol Half Marathon 2005 Applications

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Bristol Half Marathon 2005 Applications

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:30 pm

Are you in the UK on the 2nd October this year, anywhere near Bristol, into running, fancy doing a half marathon, wearing a vegan runners vets of course, then were laughing. :D

Applications for the 2005 race will be opening tomorrow for the 17th Bristol Half Marathon. See HERE

Anyone fancy it ? Fruitbat ?
Last edited by mrpotatohead on Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrpotatohead

Postby ultra_whippet » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:36 pm

I could be persuaded to do this, provided of course that you can recommend a good veggie cafe in which I can stuff my face afterwards :D
ultra_whippet

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:46 pm

Briiiiilllllllliiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnntttttt! And its not that far for you to travel.

Tim from Yaoh is working on the 2005 vegan guide to Bristol which is due out in the next few weeks, bigger and better than last years. Theres a fresh and wild not far (up hill) from the start and finish.

Didn't expect a response so soon, cheers.
Last edited by mrpotatohead on Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrpotatohead

Postby Jonathan » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:42 pm

weird double post edited
Last edited by Jonathan on Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Kathryn"]You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:43 pm

i might be persuaded. of course you need to persuade me to train a bit first. it could hurt otherwise!! i havent run that far before but i seem to maintain a good level of all round fitness whatever i do.

jonathan
[quote="Kathryn"]You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:17 am

[quote="jonathan"]i might be persuaded. of course you need to persuade me to train a bit first. it could hurt otherwise!!

jonathan

I sent an email to Fiona Oakes who runs www.towerhillstables.com after I set up a standing order to go towards helping out. And she replied "I am so proud to run in the Vegan Runners vest and to illustrate the potential positive publicity a really high placed vegan athlete would get".

Just do it jonathon, its 7 and 1/2 months away. I only started running at the begining of the year, and feel great, maybe not up to a half marathon just yet, and can only dream of being at Fiona's standard, though what she said is enough motivation for me.
Last edited by mrpotatohead on Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrpotatohead

Postby Jonathan » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:16 am

i will train but i think that ill have to wait until i move to derby to start. its too depressing to run in manchester!! plus im trying to get big so running too much isnt a great idea! count me in though. i ll start training in july.

jonathan
Jonathan

Postby Fruitbat » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:40 pm

I wud be interested but really dont think I could train towards it ... I have no idea how to train towards a thing like that either...
Fruitbat

Postby curlykale » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:41 pm

Yeah great, I'm easily persuaded
'Of course, we are meat, we are potential carcasses. If i go into a butcher's shop i always think it is surprising that i wasn't there instead of the animal.' - Francis Bacon 1966
curlykale

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:22 pm

The last 2 days I was away and so I went running in the mornings - loevely runs, very hilly (steep hilly too) - ran for an hour... energy levels still ok afterwards... how long does the average half marathon take?
Fruitbat

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:43 pm

Hello fb, I've never done anything like this before, and am just ticking over at the moment, though still cycling every day. I'd be disappointed to do it in more than 1hr 45 mins.
Last edited by mrpotatohead on Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrpotatohead

Postby fredrikw » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:49 pm

I did a half marathon a couple of years ago. my fitness level was quite high, but I had done almost no running at all. I stumbled across the finishing line after 2:00:20 ...

bear in mind that the muscle activation when cycling is very different from running, so even if you can do long rides on your bike this doesn't necessarily translates to long runs... talking from my own painful experience here :? at least I did it the run promoting Animal Rights Sweden, wearing a Vegan Runners t-shirt, so it was not a complete waste... :D
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby michaelhobson » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:51 pm

[quote="Fruitbat"]I wud be interested but really dont think I could train towards it ... I have no idea how to train towards a thing like that either...

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm

Hal Higdon is THE expert on marathon training. The above program has different levels of a 12 week program for Novice, Intermediate or Advanced.
michaelhobson

Postby Fruitbat » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:48 pm

I am really interested in it as I could train over the summer for it (lots of spare time) but I will have just started my PhD in Sept/ Oct so wondering about the impression it would give if I disappeared for a few days to do this... Also transport and accamodation being an issue. How many vegans are doing it????

I have just started running again in this nice weather and am feeling motivated!
Fruitbat

Postby mrpotatohead » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:14 pm

[quote="Fruitbat"]I am really interested in it as I could train over the summer for it (lots of spare time) but I will have just started my PhD in Sept/ Oct so wondering about the impression it would give if I disappeared for a few days to do this... Also transport and accamodation being an issue. How many vegans are doing it????

I have just started running again in this nice weather and am feeling motivated!

I can't help with transport fruity, but you are more than welcome to stay at mine. I've already applied, and so may others, but it wouldv'e been good to enter as a team, next year aye. I'm sure viva (who are in Bristol) would be interested to put a pic in their mag.
mrpotatohead

Next

Return to Vegan Runners