running question

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

running question

Postby nelliejean » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:21 pm

So I'm starting to train for a 5K. I used to run quite frequently, but I got out of shape when I cracked a vertebrae. (I switched to lower impact aerobics... stairmaster or ellipse machine, but it never was as hard.)

I've been seeing a physical therapist to strengthen my muscles and now I'm OK to try some running (at least, on a treadmill for now).

I've started out running 1-1.5 miles on the treadmill (incline .5) every other day. On the "off" days I've been doing my usual workout on the ellipse machine (about an hour or a little less, depending on how much time I have).

I noticed yesterday that I was really tired after my work out and for the rest of the day. Should I be taking actual "rest" days, or is switching the form of exercise good enough?

Thanks!
nelliejean

Postby fredrikw » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:30 pm

I'd suggest you should keep your rest days exercise free, especially if you're feeling tired. it's not when training you're getting stronger, it's when resting (a little bit over simplified, but still true)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby mtbkid » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:35 pm

When is the 5K? Is your goal just to finish and have a good time? Given your back injury, that seems like a reasonable goal for a first race back. I would say that you should take at least one day completely off per week (though that could be viewed as a bit hypocritical on my part, because I frequently go for weeks at a time without a day off). It is probably good to have at least one two-day span off of running as well, at this early stage of your comeback. You might also want to consult your PT - she/he should have a pretty good idea of what you can handle.

Just my two cents.
-josh

"Humanity can not be made equal by declarations on paper. Unless the material conditions for equality exist, it is worse than mockery to pronounce men equal."
~Voltairine de Cleyre
mtbkid

Postby nelliejean » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not training for a particular race. In my town, there are usually several 5Ks in the Spring/Summer, starting in April. I thought this would be a good starting goal for working up my distance. Once I get up to that distance on the treadmill, I'll see how I feel about a race... I'm just a little nervous about moving to harder surfaces. I'm sure I could finish a 5K now, because I'm physically in decent shape, I just want to work up slowly to see how my joints take it.

I'm taking the day off today, let's see how I feel tomorrow!

My PT has told me to "listen to my body" in terms of how much I can take. Not very precise, but I think it's good advice! :)
nelliejean

Postby mtbkid » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:21 pm

[quote]My PT has told me to "listen to my body" in terms of how much I can take. Not very precise, but I think it's good advice!

I'd say that is the best advice, except that sometimes it seems I don't hear mine just right. :D
-josh

"Humanity can not be made equal by declarations on paper. Unless the material conditions for equality exist, it is worse than mockery to pronounce men equal."
~Voltairine de Cleyre
mtbkid

Postby punkrockclimber » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:57 pm

The way we always trained for 5k was to take one full rest day, one fast and short day, one llooonnnngg but slow[as long as you canish] day, and the rest would be middle distance and technique days. We lifted once a week after a shorter technique day.

To break up the monotony of running, as well as to better train different muscle groups, pick objects during your run and speed up to that object. Your burst of speed can be anywhere from slightly faster to an all out sprint.

And you will be exhausted, thats totally normal with crazy cardio/enduro workouts, but at the first sign of ligament/bone/tendon pain, take an extra rest day.
-Sean™, freegan

H: 5' 6" BW: 115 lbs.
b: 130 lbs.
5k: 17:30
redpoint: 5.11b
flash: v4+
punkrockclimber

Postby scenthound » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:55 pm

Did you crack the vertebrae running? Regardless, you might want to check out this Runner's World book: Running Injury Free. Reading it has made me a lot more aware of what's going on when I run and alert to potential injuries not to mention the need for rest days. Even in the best of circumstances one rest day should be taken. If you don't want an injury to sideline you again.
RUN for your life
scenthound

Postby nelliejean » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:28 am

scenthound-

thanks for the book suggestion- i'll definitely check it out. i just got back from a great run. I'm really excited to be back into it again... it's so addicting that i have to tell myself to take it slow!

I cracked my L5 horseback riding... not running. I got thrown from a very large horse... my instructor likened it to being "dropped off an 8 foot ledge and landing on my a**". anyway, one of the side effects was that it made running painful. i'm doing much better now! :)
nelliejean

Return to Vegan Runners