Running question

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Running question

Postby xKANANDOx » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:10 am

Typically when I go running at the gym, I bundle up and prefer to wear sweatpants and a hoodie with my hood up. Call it an old habit from wrestling days in high school, or just something I do to increase perspiration and endurance but does me doing this hurt or help me in any way?

I know in high school, we did it primarily to cut weight and teach you to hang in when a workout gets tougher. Now I just feel better after I do my runs this way, and then take a nice refreshing shower.

Possible increase in stamina? Is it advantageous for cardio?

Thanks a bunch.
"Do unto others, as you would have done to you."
(enslavement and mass slaughter for taste or convenience are not family values.)
xKANANDOx

Postby fredrikw » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:52 am

I've never understood this sweating thing. the weight you loose are water, right? as far as I know you don't burn more calories or burn fat just because you're warm, quite the opposite actually (if it's cold more energy are needed to keep the body warm).

I wouldn't say it helps you at all from a cardio point of view, you just get warm, risk overheating, and also will dehydrate more quickly. overheating and dehydration are bad things.

or have I missed something, some super secret only boxers and wrestlers know of? :D
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:13 am

Aye, dehydration is bad news. This is something i'll be writing about in my cycling blog soon.

Quickly tho, dehydration decreases performance, and one way this occurs is that your blood pressure increases, as your level of blood volume decreases (guess where that sweat is coming from.)

This means your heart has to work even harder.

Drink lots and stay cool for aerobic activities.

Wrestlers will often dehydrate themselves to lose weight, so that they can compete in a particular weight class...
[quote="fredrikw"]yeah yeah, you just want to hear me saying you were right, right?

Image "Live life like you're gonna die...because you are." - William Shatner, You'll Have Time/ Has Been
Dave Noisy

Postby fredrikw » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:18 am

[quote="Dave Noisy"]Quickly tho, dehydration decreases performance, and one way this occurs is that your blood pressure increases, as your level of blood volume decreases (guess where that sweat is coming from.)

eh, how can the blood pressure increase if the blood volume decreases? more volume->higher pressure, less volume->lower pressure. dehydration causes low blood pressure as far as I know.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby JO » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:11 pm

... heart rate increases, that's for sure.

yes, overheating and dehydration are bad but what about "adversity training"?
Kinetic-corporeal joy is known to ALL creatures.
JO

Postby scenthound » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:11 pm

Could be that less water available in the system thickens the blood, thus raising the BP.

Anyways, running produces so much heat I don't even do it indoors. Not even in wintertime. I need air, wide open air. Thin nylon and/or poly. I needs to breathe.

Old schools, like military, might think discomfort to be charactor builders, but I want my running high.
RUN for your life
scenthound

Postby fredrikw » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:43 pm

[quote="JO"]yes, overheating and dehydration are bad but what about "adversity training"?

the question is what you want to accomplish, what's the goal. if it is pushing yourself I would suggest to do that in a way which actually makes you stronger in the end. overheating and dehydration does no such thing, they are just bad for you.

[quote="scenthound"]Could be that less water available in the system thickens the blood, thus raising the BP.

no, I've had a lot of problems with dehydration and hyponatremia (lack of salt/electrolytes), and now after consulting the information I have on this (and google of course :D) I'd say you definitely get low blood pressure from dehydration, not the other way around.

just as a safety remark, the low blood pressure we're talking about here is not the healthy low blood pressure we all want to have, it is on a dangerously low level which ultimately can lead to serious damage to your internal organs.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby xKANANDOx » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:58 pm

Thanks for all of the awesome replies everyone. I never even thought of the blood pressure change, or some of the other things you mentioned.

The main goal of me doing it that way is to intensify a short run of only 1.5-2 miles, but I'm not gonna risk damage to myself. Thanks.
"Do unto others, as you would have done to you."
(enslavement and mass slaughter for taste or convenience are not family values.)
xKANANDOx

Postby Dave Noisy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:17 am

Correct - low blood pressure. My bad!
Dave Noisy

Return to Vegan Runners