Running shoes recommendations please

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Running shoes recommendations please

Postby mrpotatohead » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:24 pm

Hello guys and gals,

either this week or next I'm going to a local running shoe shop to buy a new pair of runners. As far as I'm led to beleive, they will measure the shape and size etc etc of my feet and let me do a wee run in some different pairs of shoes. Its supposed to be the best shop in town, not the general sport shop kind.

Can anyone recommend what brands of running shoe to look at or avoid, please.

Thanks in advance. :D
Last edited by mrpotatohead on Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrpotatohead

Postby Notty » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:43 pm

I'm very fond of Saucony myself. They have confirmed to me personally that their shoes are vegan - the guy at Saucony said he checked with their manufacturers that the glue etc. is OK. But like all companies, their shoes are made in Asia and I'm not sure how good the conditions of their workers are.

The shoe shop will recommend what's best for you - I would take their advice. Enjoy!!
Notty

Postby ultra_whippet » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:48 pm

Saucony is indeed a good make, also New Balance are good - and some of their shoes are (almost unbelievably) made in the UK!
ultra_whippet

Postby Notty » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:50 pm

[quote="skinny whippet"] New Balance are good - and some of their shoes are (almost unbelievably) made in the UK![quote]

True - but the components aren't. Still, a definite plus factor.
Notty

Postby Notty » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:51 pm

Ooops sorrry - still struggling with quotes!
Notty

Postby mrpotatohead » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:24 pm

Thankyou's. The shop is recommended by every person I've spoken to about running, so their advice will be appreciated. I just don't want to use the likes of nike or addidas etc.

How much should I expect to pay for a decent pair ?

Thanks again. :D
Last edited by mrpotatohead on Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrpotatohead

Postby scenthound » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:14 pm

Make mine Mizuno. They use computer developed wave plates of various shapes and compositions. No more Addidas. I'm trying out the Mercury and the Alchemy. So far I'm beyond impressed. The weather turned lousy so I haven't gotten in a ten miler yet but after six or eight my feet definitely feel better.

The wave plates are described on the Minuzo website. I feel like I'm getting a good return on my stride. Keep in mind though many shoes would seem an improvement over the Addidas TR9's I was using.

The Mercury is light for a fleet footed runner with some cushion, while the Alchemy is slightly stiffer for a little more motion control. A lot of runners still like Asics but I'm converted.

I've used Addidas, Nike, Brooks and Asics.
RUN for your life
scenthound

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:24 pm

I got em. A pair of asic 1100 gel, or something like that.

The puter thing that measures me feet and all that jazz wasn't working, so rolled up me trewsers and walked back and forth, tried on at least ten pairs of shoes and went for a very little run back and forth, so the very helpful lady could see what shoe was best for my running.

I must have been in there at least 45 minutes, and was told I could try them out on the treadmill, any probs, to take them back.

I did a 45 minute run on Sunday, and they are magic.

I can't recommend easy runner in Bristol enough.

Thanks for the advice vegan fitness'ers. :wink:
Last edited by mrpotatohead on Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrpotatohead

Postby mtbkid » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:49 pm

Trying on so many pairs was the best thing you could do . . . not many people do that. Buying your shoes from a local running-specific store rather than a big chain is always the way to go, for a variety of reasons - now if we could just get a few of the manufacturers (or their contractors, really) to pay decent wages, we'd be set!

Sounds like you got the right shoes!! I run in ASICS and if the fit your feet, which it sounds like they do, they will serve you well.

-josh
-josh

"Humanity can not be made equal by declarations on paper. Unless the material conditions for equality exist, it is worse than mockery to pronounce men equal."
~Voltairine de Cleyre
mtbkid

definitely new balance

Postby jsprudhom » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:57 am

I paid 75 for my new balance...I love them, lighter than my skateboarding shoes...comfy as hell...look awesome, and not leather...rock on...also not made by 12 year old indonesian boys.

-Jason
Vegan Straightedge Like It's '98
jsprudhom

Postby Fudgam » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:36 am

I like New Balance. Most of their shoes are leather-free too.
Fudgam

Postby Fruitbat » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:47 pm

I wear and love Asics but are they vegan?
Fruitbat

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:32 pm

[quote="Fruitbat"]I wear and love Asics but are they vegan?

Apparently not. I called Asics today, who confirmed that shoes with a code begining TN (mine for example, gel 1100, has a code of TN522) are synethetic, but I guess most knew what was synthetic or not.

However, the glues, as the shoes are not made in this country, could not be confirmed as free from animal origin. Some may, some may not.

The person I spoke to did say, as far as they are aware, currently there is no vegan running shoe in the range at the moment. They mentioned vegan not me by the way.

Oh well.
mrpotatohead

Postby nelliejean » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:58 pm

does anyone know how to find one of those fancy professional running shoe stores... where they watch you run on a treadmill and fit you for running shoes?

i'm having the worst problems with my running shoes. i got fitted locally and while I thought they fit in the store (I got them 6 months ago), now that I'm running more (I'm up to 4miles a day now) they are killing my feet. I had to go back to my old pair, which don't have enough cushioning in them.

I decided it's time to invest in a nice, professionally fitted pair, but I know there isn't a shop in my town. I'm going to be in Atlanta in a couple weeks, I thought maybe I could find one there.
nelliejean

Postby nelliejean » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:57 pm

running shoe update:

I went here: http://www.phidippides.com/

It is amazing what the difference is between a specialty running store and the regular sports store at your local mall. Apparently, my local store had been suggesting shoes that were 1-1.5 sizes too small for me, because the tight fit offers more "support." No wonder I was getting the worst blisters ever!!

Now I have a great fitting pair of shoes... I'm very excited!
nelliejean

Next

Return to Vegan Runners