[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - Safety treads for winter running

Safety treads for winter running

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Safety treads for winter running

Postby jamesndawson » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:27 pm

In the past few years I've always tended to slack off my running in the winter, partly because I just didn't like going out in the cold, partly of course due to my own tendency to be lazy, but also because I concerned about slipping and falling. (I have fallen a few times while running, usually tripping on a rock or buckling sidewalk, so it's a reasonable concern.)
This winter I want to see if I can keep up with my runs, so I bought a new pair of running shoes at Payless Shoe Source (U.S.A.), Champions, and a pair of safety treads (a.k.a. "ice cleats"). The brand is Hi-Tech. Unfortunately, they're advertised as being made for ice fisherman, but I can't help that. They were only $6.99 and I didn't want to spent $20-40 on the more expensive ones, never having used ice cleats before.
Have any runners here worn, or do they wear, ice cleats for running? Has anyone tried them and not liked them? Are they awkward to run in? Do the cleats themselves wear out fast? If so, how soon? Weeks? Months? Years?
It seems like the old running shoes my brothers used to wear decades ago were very heavily treaded, but the pair I bought, and those I looked at, are very lightly treaded, and it seems like they wouldn't provide much traction on ice or snow. But maybe I've got the wrong impression. What are your experiences?
James
jamesndawson

Re: Safety treads for winter running

Postby baldy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:07 am

Never have enough snow here to worry about that, but I have always wanted to try this.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby jamesndawson » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:26 pm

Thank you! That's simple and ingenius! I've found some small hex-screws and when I hunt down a few more I'll try it.

I did venture out a few days ago with my new shoes and it went pretty well. Most of the paths are dry and ice-free, but a few stretches did have ice on them. I ran a little on these without slipping, but yes, this is a cold, icy, snowy place so I do want to have some backup.

I'll let you all know how it works.
James
jamesndawson

Postby jamesndawson » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:49 am

I finally got around to putting in the screws in my shoes today. I just used all 3/8" long, about 4 or 5 along each side. Nothing poked through, and they all stayed in throughout the run. I just used a hand nut driver, but the soles were perhaps a bit softer than on other running shoes. I ran through stretches of slush, rather than ice, and also on completely bare sidewalk and asphalt, so I don't know how well they'll do on ice, when it's much colder. Today it was about 35F. Anyway, I was glad I got around to testing them and that they show some promise for keeping up with my running this winter.
James
jamesndawson

Return to Vegan Runners