Running in Smoky Air

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Running in Smoky Air

Postby jamesndawson » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:52 pm

I'm trying to keep up with my running better and I've got a day off so I'd like to run today. But we've been have some scary big fires in central and eastern WA and the air's a bit smoky here in Spokane. I'm not choking or wheezing or anything, but I can definitely smell some smoke. Would it be foolhardy of me to run for about 40 minutes or should I try it?
James
jamesndawson

Re: Running in Smoky Air

Postby ninearms » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:16 pm

Give it a go. You can always take a bandana to cover your mouth if it's too much.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby jamesndawson » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:37 pm

Thanks. I think I will. I should've done it before I posted this, but I took a little look around the Net about it, and many runners said they wouldn't, but others seemed a little undecided or ambiguous. Nothing was very clear. And it's hard to gauge how bad "bad" is. I do smell it a little, and it feels a little stuffy, but then I'm never sure if that's the power of suggestion. But I'll do it and stop if it feels terrible. I had a pretty good run a couple days ago and saw how much consistency improves me and want to avoid slacking off. I think it'll be okay.
James
jamesndawson

Postby jamesndawson » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:39 pm

P.S.---The Spokane air quality level is "officially" "unhealthy" for "everyone", but again, I'm going to do it.
James
jamesndawson

Postby jamesndawson » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:44 pm

Just got back from my run. It went fine. I think the smoke has pretty much been cleared out by the wind, but this morning it was definitely in the air. But I still wonder what's safe and what isn't. I don't have asthma, but if it'd been just a little too thick, would I have collapsed or something?
James
jamesndawson

Return to Vegan Runners