Calf cramps

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Calf cramps

Postby Sid Delicious » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:58 am

I'm after people's thoughts on a problem that at the moment is fairly low-key but I want to correct it asap. The situation is....

I've been doing semi-regular cross country/trail runs for the last couple of years. Generally I keep my runs to a medium pace and don't push myself too hard with distance without an appropriate period of building up with increasingly longer runs. However over the last few weeks I've noticed I get mild cramps in my calfs. I first noticed this about a month ago when in bed I would wake up with a 'tight' feeling in my calfs (not quite cramps, or at least very mild ones). However in the last week they have been feeling a bit sore after running, and the other night I cut my run short as I felt my left calf starting to cramp.
I've started taking magnesium tablets to help alleviate the problem, and am aware of needing to have salt in my diet and to keep hydrated to help prevent cramps. I also make sure to do stretches after runs and to start runs with a slow build up rather than start at a fast pace.

I think the problem may be linked to my job to some extent. I work in construction and do a LOT of walking and carrying most days of the week. For example: On one site over a period of weeks I carried out (downhill) about 15 tonnes of soil and 500kg of concrete rubble and carried in (uphill) about 3 tonnes of builders mix, 500kg of cement and about 500kg of timber. This was all carried in/out of a property that was about 60m off and about 20m above the road (about 30 steps and sloped pathways) and also involved a lot of excavating, mixing and pouring of concrete.
What I think is happening is that all this work is building up my leg muscles but in a way that they are developing differently than they would if I built them up by running. I figure that I need to do more stretching as my calfs in particular feel 'tight'.

Of course if the problem worsens (it isn't too bad at the moment, but I want to be cautious) then I will go see a doctor, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any advice here first.
Sid Delicious

Re: Calf cramps

Postby silver » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:28 am

[quote="Sid Delicious"]I figure that I need to do more stretching as my calfs in particular feel 'tight'.

I think you answered your own question.
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby blinki » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:06 am

Foam rolling did more for my calf tightness than stretching though I had to start very gentle with a tennis ball. If/when a tennis ball doesn't feel awful then I like the 'bone saw'too.
blinki

Postby Sid Delicious » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:52 am

Thanks for your thoughts. I've been doing more stretching and am having no further problems even though I'm running longer distances now.
Sid Delicious

Return to Vegan Runners