Is running bad for you?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Notty » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:29 am

[quote="scenthound"]Stop and walk as often as you need to and you recover sufficiently to resume running without plodding

Hi scenthound

Can you explain what you mean by 'plodding' and why it's to be avoided? I
Notty

Postby scenthound » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:17 pm

[quote="Notty"][quote="scenthound"]Stop and walk as often as you need to and you recover sufficiently to resume running without plodding

Hi scenthound

Can you explain what you mean by 'plodding' and why it's to be avoided? I
Notty:

By plodding I refer to harder contact with the pavement. When you start getting fatigued you stride shortens and you will start to hear your shoes smack the ground. Walk breaks, once universally sneered at by pros, are now a more common tactic used by long distance runners. Usually a brief walk, maybe about one minute max, every ten minutes or so, will allow sufficent recovery to expand distance significantly, and to keep your stride light.

It is better to remind yourself to do this when training, rather than push on until soreness or injury begins, which can sideline you for a spell.
RUN for your life
scenthound

Postby Notty » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:35 am

Thanks, Scenthound. I kept a real focus on running light and stretching out my stride during my run last night - it felt good.

Dunc, have you been doing any running? How's it going?
Notty

Postby V VII Hero » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:30 am

how do you do Mobilisation?
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby GenTDuke » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:53 am

[quote="V VII Hero"]how do you do Mobilisation?

For running most of your joints will be used but the key one to mobilise are your hips, knees and feet.

For you hips stand one leg and rotate the other around and down a few time, if you were a martial artist I could explain it as adopt a bask leaning cat stance and use your knee to block an attack and place it back down, thats to much for some pople though so also try standing on both feet and drop one hip at a time.

For knees stand on one leg and bring the other up in front of you to paralel or above.

For the feet perform toe taps, heel to toe. All the movement should be performed many times until you start to feel warm. I hope that helps it is hard to explain when not teaching face to face.
GenTDuke

Previous

Return to Vegan Runners