Running overuse injury

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Running overuse injury

Postby veganjoggler » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:25 pm

I hope my fellow vegan runners are having a great new year!

After foolishly running 84 miles over a 6 day period, I finally injured myself in my right knee. This was the most miles I've ever run over a week(I usually run 50 to 60 miles per week). It was 6 days ago when I injured myself, though I am not sure what this injury is. I haven't been able to run since, though I've done a lot of walking.

Luckily, I didn't feel any sharp or acute pain when I got injured(it was toward the end of the run that I started to feel it), and don't feel much right now. In fact I feel nothing if I stay off my feet and keep my right leg straight. It's when I walk or bend my knee that I start to feel some soreness and awkwardness in my right knee and along my right side. If I try to run, my right knee doesn't feel "right", almost like it's a little loose. About 2 years ago I experienced a similar injury. About 17 years ago, in my right knee(same knee giving me problems now), I tore my medial meniscus, and the ACL, and required a long period of physical therapy before I could run again. The doctor didn't think I needed surgery though, thinking it wasn't severe enough, I was too young, and it was in an area that could heal easily. My right leg has been my weak leg ever since, but I hope I haven't reinjured these old injuries.

Since I don't feel any acute pain, I don't see any point in going to the doctor. I do a lot of walking, though it feels awkward and sore much of the time, and do leg lifts with ankle weights every few days to build and maintain leg strength. Any tips? Any ideas what this is? I also sometimes feel a little bit of soreness in my right hip, suggesting this is IT band syndrome. Thanks for any suggestions.

If this gets worse or I doen't improve, I will go to the doctor. What is the worst injury you've ever had?
veganjoggler

Re: Running overuse injury

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:51 am

ITB injuries are incredibly common, and I know them well. With ITB problems you will usually feel it along the outside of your knee just where the ITB crosses over the bone. Often in the hips/glutes/TFL too. Yours sounds like it might be a bit different? Are you taking some days off? Plenty of stretching of your glutes, TFL/flexors, quads and hamstrings is probably a good idea. I think weak glutes, or glutes that aren't firing properly can contribute to ITB problems, but I am not sure if any real stregth training is going to help much with that; it is usually more coordination and simple movement type exercises that they recommend (for prevention, not recovery).

I have had pretty good success in using a foam roller on all of the areas I mentioned above. Plus rolling the ITB itself to release any cohesion* to the quad. Not that I can tell you what that means! Ok, I can guess... I am doing a lot of running lately and spending about 45mins per day on mine.

good luck. It is no fun.
Mr. Cleetus

Re: Running overuse injury

Postby veganjoggler » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:24 pm

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"]ITB injuries are incredibly common, and I know them well. With ITB problems you will usually feel it along the outside of your knee just where the ITB crosses over the bone. Often in the hips/glutes/TFL too. Yours sounds like it might be a bit different? Are you taking some days off? Plenty of stretching of your glutes, TFL/flexors, quads and hamstrings is probably a good idea. I think weak glutes, or glutes that aren't firing properly can contribute to ITB problems, but I am not sure if any real stregth training is going to help much with that; it is usually more coordination and simple movement type exercises that they recommend (for prevention, not recovery).

I have had pretty good success in using a foam roller on all of the areas I mentioned above. Plus rolling the ITB itself to release any cohesion* to the quad. Not that I can tell you what that means! Ok, I can guess... I am doing a lot of running lately and spending about 45mins per day on mine.

good luck. It is no fun.

Thanks for the advice. More and more it seems less of an ITB injury, and just some knee injury or "runner's knee". I managed to run for 3 miles today, my first run since the injury(8 days ago), and the more I ran, the more soreness I felt in my right knee. I think the extreme coldness outside(10F) may be be making my legs muscles stiffer.

The good news is that my knee doesn't lock, it feels smooth while I bend it, and I don't feel acute pain, just soreness. The more I run with it, the more sore I feel and the more I limp. If I stand still or walk, I hardly feel anything.
veganjoggler

Return to Vegan Runners