The Hanson Marathon method

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

The Hanson Marathon method

Postby veganjoggler » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:25 pm

What do you think about the Hanson Marathon training method? Anyone here using it? Some people credit it with helping them run marathons a lot faster. One of the most appealing things about the Hanson method is that they claim your weekly long run doesn't have to be longer than 16 miles, instead of 20 which is recommended by most other training programs. This doesn't mean the training method is easy though.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-traini ... age=single

Here is the book - http://www.amazon.com/Hansons-Marathon- ... on+running

Does anyone have any problems with this method? What method do you use?
veganjoggler

Re: The Hanson Marathon method

Postby ninearms » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:31 pm

[quote="veganjoggler"]One of the most appealing things about the Hanson method is that they claim your weekly long run doesn't have to be longer than 16 miles, instead of 20 which is recommended by most other training programs.

I don't get the appeal. Do you not like running? :wink:
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby veganjoggler » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:56 pm

[quote="ninearms"][quote="veganjoggler"]One of the most appealing things about the Hanson method is that they claim your weekly long run doesn't have to be longer than 16 miles, instead of 20 which is recommended by most other training programs.

Some people don't have time for 20 mile runs on a regular basis.
veganjoggler

Postby ninearms » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:34 pm

[quote="veganjoggler"][quote="ninearms"][quote="veganjoggler"]One of the most appealing things about the Hanson method is that they claim your weekly long run doesn't have to be longer than 16 miles, instead of 20 which is recommended by most other training programs.

Some people don't have time for 20 mile runs on a regular basis.

16-20 there's not that much time difference between them really though, is there? Plus the Hansons' long runs are much faster, so even though the distance is less the pain will likely be much more. If you have confidence it will work for you then give it a go. Confidence is the key.

Have you seen this?

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of ... ning_Plans
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby hakko » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:11 am

Another interesting link, ninearms. (I liked your link on topology of different races too!)

Ryan Vail who ran New York Marathon in 2:13 posted his training 13 weeks up to the race here: http://ryanvail.blogspot.com

Obviously you can't follow a program like that without getting injured unless you have the training background for it. Which is part of the reason why I don't like programs or methods - one way of training just doesn't suit everyone.

I think the most important part is consistency, so the key to success is staying motivated, being patient, and not getting injured.

Read people's training diaries/logs, talk to other runners, try different sessions, mix and match ideas based on what your schedule allows. Listen to your body rather than follow a program. Put in as much effort as you can but don't expect a certain progress based on it. Doing a three hour long run is better than a two hour long run (IMHO), but if you don't have time for it, a two hour long run sure is better than no long run at all.
hakko

Postby veganjoggler » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:46 am

16-20 there's not that much time difference between them really though, is there? Plus the Hansons' long runs are much faster, so even though the distance is less the pain will likely be much more. If you have confidence it will work for you then give it a go. Confidence is the key.

Have you seen this?

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of ... ning_Plans[/quote]

Great list! I think I will combine what I like and what works for me. Thanks for the help.
Last edited by veganjoggler on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
veganjoggler

Postby veganjoggler » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:50 am

[quote="hakko"]Another interesting link, ninearms. (I liked your link on topology of different races too!)

Ryan Vail who ran New York Marathon in 2:13 posted his training 13 weeks up to the race here: http://ryanvail.blogspot.com

Obviously you can't follow a program like that without getting injured unless you have the training background for it. Which is part of the reason why I don't like programs or methods - one way of training just doesn't suit everyone.

I think the most important part is consistency, so the key to success is staying motivated, being patient, and not getting injured.

Read people's training diaries/logs, talk to other runners, try different sessions, mix and match ideas based on what your schedule allows. Listen to your body rather than follow a program. Put in as much effort as you can but don't expect a certain progress based on it. Doing a three hour long run is better than a two hour long run (IMHO), but if you don't have time for it, a two hour long run sure is better than no long run at all.

Thanks Hakko, that is really good advice. And that training Vail was doing seems "insane" to me, but if it works for him and he is having fun then more power to him. I've given some thought to running 100+ miles per week. I've already done 65 - 70 miles max, but I don't think it will be too difficult unless I injure myself or tire myself out. The 15 minutes of interval training I did this week made me too tired to run at all the next day, though I did strength training on that day.

I appreciate your helpful advice.
veganjoggler

Postby kallefs » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:35 pm

If you run 65-70 now and consider going to 100+ then +20 km runs will have to fit in there somewhere. I'm surprised you don't do them now even, with that volume. Surely it must be more efficient time wise to run 20 km one day than 2x10 km on two days?
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Return to Vegan Runners