Help needed re shoe choice & plantar fasciitis

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Help needed re shoe choice & plantar fasciitis

Postby xJimx » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:26 am

I need some new shoes & am undecided on what to get. Got my eye on New Balance 890 currently.

I'm a heel-striking neutral gait runner, 15 stone (so heavy obviously by running standards) & have recently been suffering from a bit of plantar fasciitis. My running is one or two 5k runs per week in the winter & sprints in the summer.

I've generally always done my running in fairly chunky cushioned shoes due to bodyweight, but I've read that changing your shoe type is potentially a way to help with the fasciitis - the 890 would fit the bill as it's lighter & less cushioned with a smaller heel-toe drop. Plus some reviews say it actually offers some stability & this could maybe help me too.

At my weight will I just crush a pair of 890s & injure myself? Should I stick to chunkier shoes for the sake of my knees/back & just deal with the foot issue some other way?
DYEL
xJimx

Re: Help needed re shoe choice & plantar fasciitis

Postby ninearms » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:27 pm

I'm very wary of shoes used as an injury fix, as invariably what you end up doing is masking the pain whilst continuing with the same training or biomechanical issues that caused the problem in the first place. (I also don't think 15 stone is necessarily that heavy for a runner - 55kg whippets are not the norm - nor do I think that cushioning∝weight). Plantar fasciitis is notoriously difficult to identify the cause of, but calf tightness/ankle mobility (not helped by big heels, and the 890 still has a 10mm drop so it's still pretty hefty) can often be the cause. So perhaps the first thing I'd suggest is looking at your lower leg flexibility/mobility. I'd also look at your stride length and cadence (shorter, faster strides are likely to be lower impact than longer, slower strides, as well as more efficient). You can also roll your foot with a lacrosse ball.

Some good stuff here too: http://www.runresearchjunkie.com/planta ... -treat-it/
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Re: Help needed re shoe choice & plantar fasciitis

Postby xJimx » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Yeah I know what you mean my good man. I was considering the 880 with its 12mm drop because it's noted for it's plush cushioning & chunky heal, but I worry I'd just be masking the issue rather than dealing with it. I always thought PF was an issue for flat footed folk, but apparently very high arches like mine are also susceptible. With hindsight I've had a touch of PF in my right foot for years, just never put two and two together until recently when the pain got a bit worse ( it was sprinting in the summer that seemed to trigger it). I've starting stretching out my feet & calves more lately & rolling with a frozen bottle of water; that plus loads of ibuprofen should help.

The 890 is officially only 8mm drop, so high by your standards but lower than I've tried before. Some online reviews say it's fine for heavier runners (officially NB class anything over 13 stone as heavy), some say not, but since I never go over 5k it should be OK. Also, running in a lighter, shallower shoes will make me more conscious of form so I don't just keep smashing my heels into the ground! I've just placed an order for these in the sexy Garmin colourway for half price. I'm intrigued to see how they feel - worst case scenario I'll just wear them in the gym.
DYEL
xJimx

Return to Vegan Runners