1st Marathon 1st June.

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

1st Marathon 1st June.

Postby Ruff » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:35 pm

Hello folks,

I have not been around for a while, but I have decided to step up my running. I know most of you are younger than me but any support or encouragement gratefully received. :D

History. August 2010, weight around 110 kg, female, hight 5'7" age 48. Food....Atkins/paleo style diet (just being honest...I was desperate) cholesterol very high, one point into being pre diabetic. :cry:

Today, November 2013, weight 70kg, age 51, Food, vegan of course, but try to keep low fat because I am still losing weight. Cholesterol low, no longer pre diabetic. Have run my first half marathon, a trail half, that was actually 22.5km due to the trails, and had 1300 feet of ascent. I did it in just under 3 and a half hours and walked some of the steep mountain.

I am doing another trail half on 7th December, this one climbs over a 1500 foot pass 6km from the finish!

My aim is to now do a marathon. There is a mountain marathon in March, the Mt Arrowsmith, but apparently it is very hard indeed, so I am thinking of doing a road marathon on June 1st. It has the advantage of being here in Christchurch, has support like drinks stations and toilets, and has no cut off times. I do sometimes train on the road, but mostly run trails or on the beach.

I am older than most first marathoners, I was in an accident years ago that damaged the nerves in my left leg and I have a slight limp, and I am still carrying more weight than I would like (and have to deal with the associated problems of loose skin etc) and am menopausal. (If any older woman tells you she cannot lose weight because she is too old now, just refer her to me!) But it does take me longer to build up than it would a younger person. I am also still very slow.

I am determined though. My ultimate goal is to do the Bedrock 50km. A mountain ultra. I hope to get there by 2015 which will coincide with my 30th wedding anniversary! And a marathon is the next step on my journey to get there.

So any cheering from the sidelines will be gratefully appreciated. :mrgreen: I have decided to post here regularly to help with accountability over the next 5 months as I build up to my marathon. Do we have a marathon training group or anything like that. I do realize I am probably a season out from most of you....it is late spring here.

Happy running.
From Katie
Ruff

Re: 1st Marathon 1st June.

Postby silver » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:36 pm

Cheering. Loudly.
From sidelines.

Great targets, and I look forward to watching you reach them :)
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby hakko » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Given what you have achieved so far, I'm totally convinced that you'll nail your marathon. Good luck! And enjoy the journey.

I don't think we have a training group here, although some people have marathons coming. DC Runner aims for Boston Marathon which takes place in April, for example. silver does a lot of impressive training with a marathon as just the finishing third leg. ninearms is going for Transvulcania (83 km, 4400 height meters), kallefs does ultra training too. Maybe you can get some ideas from reading their training logs?
hakko

Postby Ruff » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Thank you for the support, and thank you also for the suggestions. I have found my old training log too!
From Katie
Ruff

Postby kallefs » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Everything you have done seems like a good way to prepare yourself for your first marathon. You might want to do a bit more training on the road before to prepare your body for the harder tarmac. Also, there is nothing wrong with walking a bit while you run, I do it all the time :) saves energy on the uphills and uses different muscles so your running legs get some rest. Great that you are back on your training log, will keep an eye on you.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Return to Vegan Runners