Just completed second marathon and did worse

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Just completed second marathon and did worse

Postby veganjoggler » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:59 pm

I did the Brooklyn Marathon yesterday and did worse than my first marathon, though still under 4 hours. I completed in 3:52:33 at the Brooklyn Marathon compared to 3:51:43 at the Yonkers Marathon(first marathon). The difference is so small that I don't feel that bad about it, but I wish I could have been faster. I think a combination of the rain, crowded running path, and lack of sleep(5 hours) sabotaged my running, not to mention the tedium of running around the same path several times. There were so many people who were not running the marathon running or walking the path, it was incredible. They slowed us down in some spots.

On the bright side, I only dropped the balls twice, compared to 4 times at the Yonkers Marathon, and I wore my vegan T-shirt this time. You can read more here - http://wildjuggling.wordpress.com/2013/ ... xperience/ It is also possible that donating blood a month ago is still having an ever so slight effect on me. For 2 weeks after it did interfere with my training, making it harder to prepare for this race.

Any suggestions? Should I do more interval training? I don't think I do it enough, at least not the run/walk kind of interval training. I hope everyone did well with their races and marathons, especially my fellow vegans in the Philly Marathon!
veganjoggler

Re: Just completed second marathon and did worse

Postby silver » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:27 pm

I don't think you can say worse.
Consistent, yes. But definitely not worse. (Especially when you're down to two drops!)

From what little I know, given that your first marathon was only a little over 6 weeks ago, I'd say keeping the times even close is an achievement in itself, given the closeness of the races.

How's your post marathon 'down' week going?

As to interval suggestions, I keep hearing about hill work.
When you build back up into your training in a couple of weeks, maybe we can have a hills challenge, I'm just about to bring them into my running plan.
I suspect a few people on the board might enjoy joining in...
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby hakko » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:28 pm

Yeah, six weeks isn't much for recovery and getting back into training and then tapering... I'd say well done! Next time you'll improve your time.

For training, there are a lot of opinions on how to do that. My advice would be avoiding getting stuck in the same pattern. Don't do your favorite runs in the same pace every time, then you don't improve a lot. Some of your training should be slow and relaxed and some of it should be outside your comfort zone. Surprise your body. Force it to adjust to higher speed but give it proper time for recovery as well.
hakko

Postby veganjoggler » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:26 am

[quote="silver"]I don't think you can say worse.
Consistent, yes. But definitely not worse. (Especially when you're down to two drops!)

From what little I know, given that your first marathon was only a little over 6 weeks ago, I'd say keeping the times even close is an achievement in itself, given the closeness of the races.

How's your post marathon 'down' week going?

As to interval suggestions, I keep hearing about hill work.
When you build back up into your training in a couple of weeks, maybe we can have a hills challenge, I'm just about to bring them into my running plan.
I suspect a few people on the board might enjoy joining in...

Thanks for your response. Yesterday, the day after the marathon was a day of rest - no running, no vigorous exercise, unless juggling light balls for 20 minutes counts as exercise. And a little walking. Today, did strength training for my legs, and a little walking, but no running due to soreness. Did heavy ball juggling for 30 minutes today for cardio. Feels great! I may start running again tomorrow. It still feels great proving to the world how fit a vegan can be.

Hopefully I do improve by the next time I do a marathon, which may be in late winter. Thanks for reminding me about hills. I did more hill work before my first marathon, and this may have made the difference. Good luck to you with your hill training. How is your training going otherwise?
veganjoggler

Postby veganjoggler » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:31 am

[quote="hakko"]Yeah, six weeks isn't much for recovery and getting back into training and then tapering... I'd say well done! Next time you'll improve your time.

For training, there are a lot of opinions on how to do that. My advice would be avoiding getting stuck in the same pattern. Don't do your favorite runs in the same pace every time, then you don't improve a lot. Some of your training should be slow and relaxed and some of it should be outside your comfort zone. Surprise your body. Force it to adjust to higher speed but give it proper time for recovery as well.

Thanks, and I wish you the best too. Interesting ideas. Yeah, sometimes a bit of randomness helps, even if only to keep running fresh. I will try to add more randomness and maybe silliness to my runs. Maybe even backwards running. There was a time when I thought running an entire marathon would be impossible for me, never mind in the 8 minute mile zone on average(and while juggling!). I remember that was always my fastest pace when just running a mile, that I could never sustain into my second or third mile. Best to you.
veganjoggler

Postby veganjoggler » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:38 am

Is doing vigorous arm cardio(like rowing, or a hand cycle) a good way to recover from a marathon or long run? Just think, keeping your heart rate up, while not using your legs.
veganjoggler

Postby ninearms » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:18 am

If rowing is primarily an arm exercise you're doing it wrong! Rowing is legs, legs, legs! Rowing is also horrible, and liable to make you start hating life. Even rowers hate rowing.

My favourite way to recover from a big effort is simply to take a few days off, then to run some nice rolling trails in the lightest shoes I own (helps to keep the pace down and footstrike light), ideally at sunset or sunrise, and just do 45 mins or so - enough to get in a gentle warmup, have some fun cruising down some hills, and then a nice cooldown. If you have a forest nearby I find they are great for these types of runs. I think it's important to just get out and do something without any of the pressures of training and to just enjoy the act of running for a change. No worrying about pace, heart rate, distance, just run because it's fun.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby veganjoggler » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:44 pm

[quote="ninearms"]If rowing is primarily an arm exercise you're doing it wrong! Rowing is legs, legs, legs! Rowing is also horrible, and liable to make you start hating life. Even rowers hate rowing.

My favourite way to recover from a big effort is simply to take a few days off, then to run some nice rolling trails in the lightest shoes I own (helps to keep the pace down and footstrike light), ideally at sunset or sunrise, and just do 45 mins or so - enough to get in a gentle warmup, have some fun cruising down some hills, and then a nice cooldown. If you have a forest nearby I find they are great for these types of runs. I think it's important to just get out and do something without any of the pressures of training and to just enjoy the act of running for a change. No worrying about pace, heart rate, distance, just run because it's fun.

It's been over a decade since I've done any rowing, so I am clueless. I do a lot of heavy ball juggling though. Heavy enough so that it raises my heart rate, but not so heavy that I can't do it for 40+ minutes straight without breaks. I just wonder if this will benefit my running, especially now that I am resting my legs and only running short distances. I'd say about 95% of my post marathon soreness is gone, 5 days after the marathon. Thanks for the advice.
veganjoggler

Return to Vegan Runners