Philadelphia Marathon 2013

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Philadelphia Marathon 2013

Postby veganjoggler » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:43 am

I am seriously considering running the Philadelphia Marathon on sunday, november 17th. This will be my second marathon. My first was the Yonkers Marathon on september 29th of this year(3:51 was my time).

Anyone run this before? How is it? Any tips? Any good vegan restaurants or motels to recommend? Anyone know if many jogglers have run this before? I hear it is relatively smooth, not hilly, unlike the Yonkers Marathon. I live just north of New York City and will have to stay overnight somewhere because the marathon starts at 7 AM; I'm not getting up at 4 AM to drive out there. I wish everyone the best with their running!
veganjoggler

Re: Philadelphia Marathon 2013

Postby DC Runner » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:18 pm

Well, this is funny. Guess what - I've run this marathon before, twice. I'm running the half this year. There is one good hill I think around mile 6, but the rest is pretty flat. And then after you finish, you can run up the Rocky steps at the art musuem.

I'm staying with some friends in West Philly. Not sure about hotels/motels. As for restaurants, my favorites are: Blackbird Pizzeria, Govinda's, and the Satellite(a cash-only punk cafe with tons of vegan stuff). Let us know what you decide.
DC Runner

Postby veganjoggler » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:45 pm

[quote="DC Runner"]Well, this is funny. Guess what - I've run this marathon before, twice. I'm running the half this year. There is one good hill I think around mile 6, but the rest is pretty flat. And then after you finish, you can run up the Rocky steps at the art musuem.

I'm staying with some friends in West Philly. Not sure about hotels/motels. As for restaurants, my favorites are: Blackbird Pizzeria, Govinda's, and the Satellite(a cash-only punk cafe with tons of vegan stuff). Let us know what you decide.

Good luck to you there, and thanks for the recommendations. Ah shoot, last I looked at the Philly Marathon site, it said it is full, they are not accepting any new registrants, except maybe a few charity runners. Any luck registering for a marathon after all spots were filled? Cancelations due to injuries and other reasons are inevitable, so I'll keep looking at the site for updates or send them an email. If I run, you'll know who I am(unless there's another joggler). Take care!
veganjoggler

Postby DC Runner » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:45 pm

I think that race directors bank on a certain percentage of registrants not being able to participate on race day. Typically, races have a no-refund policy. If it's listed as sold-out right now, I'd be very surprised if they let anyone else in. Good luck either way.
DC Runner

Postby DC Runner » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:50 pm

You could do the Brooklyn Marathon, which is on the same day as Philadelphia and you wouldn't have to travel as far. It's considerably cheaper as well. For other marathons, check out http://www.marathonguide.com/races/races.cfm
DC Runner

Postby hakko » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:52 pm

I've no idea where to start looking but over here, it's normally possible to find people selling their entry for half the price etc or giving it away to people within the same running club or so. Some races charge for changing your name but most don't care. Maybe you have stronger security routines after Boston and everything, I don't know.
hakko

Postby veganjoggler » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:21 pm

[quote="DC Runner"]You could do the Brooklyn Marathon, which is on the same day as Philadelphia and you wouldn't have to travel as far. It's considerably cheaper as well. For other marathons, check out http://www.marathonguide.com/races/races.cfm

Thanks DC! I almost forgot about the Brooklyn Marathon. It looks like it is still open, though I don't like the idea of going around the same loop so many times. I hope I don't lose count! Good luck to you with the Philly Marathon.
veganjoggler

Postby veganjoggler » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:15 am

Registered for the Brooklyn Marathon. Wish me luck everyone. I hope I do better than last time.
veganjoggler

Postby DC Runner » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Good luck!
DC Runner

Postby silver » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:49 am

Have fun :)
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby veganjoggler » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanks. I'm gonna need it. I hope I don't lose track of what lap I'm on. I've never done so many laps before.
veganjoggler

Postby hakko » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:14 pm

You'll be fine! Enjoy the race!
hakko

Return to Vegan Runners