Long steady distance training?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Long steady distance training?

Postby kallefs » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:31 pm

Anyone has any ideas, scientific claims, personal anecdotes or just some good bro-science on the subject?

In short, the idea is to do all your runs in a low puls zone and run pretty high mileage. For me I think it was something like 145-150 bpm which would result in a rather slow pace. You do this for a number of months during of season and then start with speed work in spring.

From what I have read some some people seem to have gotten great results and as always some people did not.

Currently writing on my phone so no links but a quick search on long slow distance or long steady distance brings up a lot.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Re: Long steady distance training?

Postby crapiecorn » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:17 pm

I'm trying it at the moment (phil maffetone method). The only strange thing is that for most people 180bpm- age seems low but for me it's pretty high. I used to do all my easy running somewhere in the low 2 zone ( 125 - 135). Now at 155 it's closer to marathon pace. I will try it for a few months and will test aerobic progress about every month. I made good progress with speedwork in the paste but I hit a bit of a plateau this last year.
crapiecorn

Postby kallefs » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:54 pm

It was maffetone I was looking for. Nice to see that you are trying it, how much do you run/week? Have you increased in compared to earlier? How long do you plan do continue?
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby Ruff » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:10 pm

Funny, I am just reading the maffetone book! How did you find it? A heart rate monitor is expensive and I would like to know how the method worked for others before splashing out.
From Katie
Ruff

Postby silver » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:35 pm

[quote="crapiecorn"]I'm trying it at the moment (phil maffetone method). The only strange thing is that for most people 180bpm- age seems low but for me it's pretty high..

Calculating HRmax with a formula is notoriously prone to error. +-20 beats covers 95% of the population.
The statistical outliers are pretty far from that zone too, at age 42 I still push my heart rate into the high 190's without working 'that' hard.
At 18 I measured it at over 230 after a particularly fierce bike sprint. Formulas are meaningless in my case.

Ruff, HRM's are coming right down in price and you could pick up a second hand one for relatively little.
Learning what to do with the numbers to plan your excercise seems to be a bit of an esoteric artform, though, certainly at first.
After 2 months, I'm just getting enough data together so that I can get a picture of my training and see how I might adapt it.
Of course if you're wearing a watch you have a built in heart monitor...
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby crapiecorn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:48 pm

[quote="silver"][quote="crapiecorn"]I'm trying it at the moment (phil maffetone method). The only strange thing is that for most people 180bpm- age seems low but for me it's pretty high..

Calculating HRmax with a formula is notoriously prone to error. +-20 beats covers 95% of the population.

In this case is not hrmax but maximum aerobic hr. They can't really explain the 180. It's a "magic" number.

ps : Heartrate monitors are dirt cheap now a days, a gps watch is still relative expensive but you can get a heartrate monitor for 40/50 $/€
crapiecorn

Postby kallefs » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:46 pm

Yeah, I will not try this this winter I think. It is way too boring never getting your HR up.

Ruff, I would say get a gps watch with a HR-monitor if you got the cash, even if you don't use a 10th of the info you could get out of it it is still great fun to see how many miles you have done during the year, longest run, fastest run and so on. It's also good to see where your heartrate is going up or down after the run, if you get a higher value somewhere you can just look at the map and see that you were running up a steep hill at that time or whatever.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Return to Vegan Runners