I just completed my first marathon

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

I just completed my first marathon

Postby veganjoggler » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:11 am

I completed my first marathon yesterday, the Yonkers Marathon just north of New York City. I finished in 3:51:43 meaning I ran at an average 8:51 pace per mile. There were 32 finishers in the Male 30 to 39 age group and 196 finishers in the race. My overall finish place was 86 and my age group finish place was 16. I was surprised I was able to complete it in under 4 hours, because of how hilly the route was(mostly manageable, but can still slow down even the fastest runners), because this was my first time doing any marathon, and because I was juggling the entire time. So many people were amazed by this, which suggests they've never seen joggling before. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep up with the man in the tutu. I did see another vegetarian runner there, wearing a "No Meat Athlete" t-shirt, though I wore nothing indicating I'm a vegan. I should do this next time. I dropped the balls 4 times, mostly toward the end.

You can read more about it here - http://wildjuggling.wordpress.com/2013/ ... -marathon/
Last edited by veganjoggler on Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veganjoggler

Re: I just completed my first marathon

Postby mo! » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:21 am

congrats!
mo!

Postby JP » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:19 pm

hey nice job, congrats indeed :)
JP
Site Admin

Postby DC Runner » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:59 pm

Nice job, veganjoggler!

I'm surprised you were able to take in so much of the course while also juggling.
DC Runner

Postby silver » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:28 pm

I probably couldn't juggle for 4 hours straight without dropping, let alone put a marathon in there as well.
Well done!
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby veganjoggler » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:10 pm

[quote="DC Runner"]Nice job, veganjoggler!

I'm surprised you were able to take in so much of the course while also juggling.

Thanks, and I wish you the best. I'm surprised too. I kept thinking I would screw up somehow and make a fool of myself. I dropped the balls a bunch of times but then so do many other jogglers on very long runs, so I didn't feel that embarrassed over it. I don't think I would have been able to do this without all the Gatorade and water I drank. Not to mention the months and months of rigorous training.

I think the thing I love most about joggling this thing are all my friends and acqaintances and even strangers saying I've inspired them to exercise more.
veganjoggler

Postby veganjoggler » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:19 pm

[quote="silver"]I probably couldn't juggle for 4 hours straight without dropping, let alone put a marathon in there as well.
Well done!

Thanks Silver! The Gatorade was a big help, so my blood sugar never got too low. If the balls are just light enough, a fit person could probably juggle(not joggle) for maybe 8 hours straight, based on what I've heard. The running is actually the more draining part of joggling, that is why I was able to do this trick at the end in which I threw one of the balls over the finish line banner and caught it on the other side of the finish line. I kept telling myself not to do it, I would screw up, yet I did it anyway. Alright, enough bragging, but next time I will make sure I have a vegan shirt on and amaze(or piss off) everyone even more.
veganjoggler

Postby veganjoggler » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:43 am

In case anyone is interested in some photos and videos - http://www2.backprint.com/kenshelton/117051/208
Last edited by veganjoggler on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
veganjoggler

Postby JP » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:46 am

thats nuts man :D awesome!
JP
Site Admin

Postby veganjoggler » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:16 am

Thanks. The final trick wasn't flawless, but at least I didn't drop.
veganjoggler

Postby veganjoggler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Just yesterday, exactly one week after the Yonkers marathon I managed to run for 13.2 miles(just slightly over 2 hours), my first long run since the marathon. Is this a very good sign? Doesn't it normally take a little longer to recover?
veganjoggler

Postby DC Runner » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:39 pm

veganjoggler - be careful. It's very easy to over-do it after a marathon. Just because you feel recovered doesn't mean your muscles and bones are ready for hard training again. I know plenty of people that have developed stress fractures after jumping back in too soon. Thing is - they usually feel great until about 4-6 weeks after their race. Since this was your first marathon, you don't really know how your body will respond. I'm not saying that your body can't handle it, but better to be safe than sorry.
DC Runner

Postby veganjoggler » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:21 am

Thanks for the advice DC. Just did 4.6 miles today. No soreness at all, but I will still be careful.
veganjoggler

Return to Vegan Runners