Warm-up for runs: what do you do?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Warm-up for runs: what do you do?

Postby Heidi-Paris » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:19 am

Hi everyone,

After about a year (on/off) of running (and 3 half marathons), I'm starting to accept the idea that a warm-up before my runs might be a good idea :roll: So far I have just been doing a few stretches before some of my runs, and used the first few kilometres for warming up. I'm currently back from an almost total break of 2 months and trying to improve my speed for a 10k race on 29 Sept.

Soo... what's your warm-up? I'd especially like to hear of routines that take as little time as possible as I will be doing it on a busy(ish) street.

Thanks in advance!

Heidi

PS. Anyone from Paris here?!
Heidi-Paris

Re: Warm-up for runs: what do you do?

Postby DC Runner » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:48 pm

I use the first 5-10 minutes of most of my runs as a warm-up - at a slightly slower pace than I plan for the rest of the run. I do a slow mile or so before speedwork. I typically will incorporate an easy run with 3 x 3-minute pickups (5k - 10k pace) separated by 3-minute jogs about 3-4 days before a race. I like to do an easy mile about 20-25 minutes before a race, including a few 100m strides.

Hope this helps. Good luck on the 10k!
DC Runner

Postby hakko » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:02 pm

I never start running at full speed, I normally do 1-2 km relaxed before hitting the main exercise. Before doing interval training, I also normally add strength and posture exercises and then a few 100m rushes with increasing pace (from 0 to 90% of max capacity) to get warm again.

The older you get, the more important it becomes to warm up and cool down properly (take the time of doing 1-2 km of relaxed running after your exercise and you'll be fresher the next day).
hakko

Postby veganjoggler » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:37 pm

I just walk for a few minutes, sometimes in an exaggerated manner(knees high) to help wake up the muscles. I tend to do this exaggerated walk more in the winter when its cold to help warm up the muscles. Or sometimes I just jump up and down a few times, or do a silly little dance while walking, and then jump down to the floor to do a few push-ups(not enough to tire me). There are so many ways to warm up, see what works for you and have fun with it. I like variety, so I am always experimenting.

Just like DC Runner and Hacko, I never start running at full speed. The first half mile or mile(1.6 km) of a run I just run slowly. I never do any static stretching before or after runs, since there is practically no evidence it is helpful for runners. Just before a marathon or race I may even run for just a minute or 2, very slowly. Keep on running!
veganjoggler

Return to Vegan Runners