Power training

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Power training

Postby ross88guy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi guys, I am just easing back into marathon training for autumn this year but have noticed that I am really lacking in leg power. I struggle to get up hills and have no quick sprinting ability even when I am fresh at the beginning of a run. How can I improve my leg strength (but here is the catch...) without ruining my marathon endurance ability?

I guess the next part of my question is, do I need to change my diet away from carbs if I am trying to build more leg strength? I try to eat quite healthily with a good mixture of all the right food groups but should I be upping my protein?

Thanks in advance.

2013/14 Goals:
Sub 3.20 Liverpool Marathon
Sub 3.10 Brighton Marathon
I keep a running blog called Londontri.com
ross88guy

Re: Power training

Postby andyO » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Hey Ross,

I don't think you specifically need to up your protein. If you are eating a healthy balanced diet, then just increasing the quantities to give you the energy you need should be sufficient.

This last year I have significantly improved my leg strength and can now run (relatively) easily up hills that previously were tough. I got here by... running up hills. Long runs will increase your leg strength and long runs with mega hills in them will increase your leg strength even better... if that is what you want.

Guess my training is focussed to a different goal than yours, as I have been training for ultra fell races/challenges. Just in case it helps though, since the new year I have (broadly speaking) tried to get a long run in of at least 25miles each week and tried to get at least 10000ft of climbing in each week, my long run will typically have at least 5000ft of climbing in it. Seven months down the line my legs feel much stronger than previously.

The only change I made to my diet was including a multi vit/mineral tablet each day to try and ensure I don't pick up any bugs while pushing my body so hard.

Think about sleep also, get enough of it, if I am not getting a good 8 hours a night my legs (and me generally) feel weaker.

Hope some of that is useful.
find the edge of the hurt envelope - and push...
andyO

Postby andyO » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:33 pm

p.s. Guess squats would make your legs stronger too, but I have never played with gym weights so can't give any informed comment there.
find the edge of the hurt envelope - and push...
andyO

Postby Koa » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:16 pm

Maybe take a look here. The guy is ultramarathons and doing powerlifting: http://www.completehumanperformance.com ... blogs.html
Squat - 170kg
DL - 200kg
BP - 110kg
OHP - 75kg

"How can you run when you know" -Neil Young
Koa

Return to Vegan Runners