Never Run Before Help Please?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Never Run Before Help Please?

Postby veganbikenut » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:52 am

Hi folks I am old hand mountain biker so as you can imagine me and running do not really get on well, two years ago we had our first little boy and my fitness routine stopped dead, I wanted to be a Dad first and concentrate on me later when we have developed as parents (job for life that one) :o)

OK so here I am now May 2013 and ready to cycle and now I want to run again, cycling is fine I am 42 and cycled my whole life so no worries there. I am about 5'11" and around 13.4 stone, stocky build but not overweight (not sure if that is important) but better OTT on info.

So I want to build up easy to get to a nice 5k run over a period of weeks, not for a race or anything just a personal goal.

Diet wise I have been vegan since I was 19 and veggie before that from the age of 11, good with nutrition but any tips about this would be helpful pre run eat, dont eat, or if eat what is good to avoid tummy probs during run.

I have been linked to this running guide what do you pros think

Whatever your level of fitness you should comfortably be able to build from nothing to running continuously for 30 minutes in the space of eight weeks. All you need to do is make a commitment to run at least three times a week and follow this simple run-walk programme which will gradually ease you towards the goal.

A few things to bear in mind:

Allow at least a day between runs when you begin.
If in doubt, slow down. You should be able to hold a conversation while you run. Respecting your body is the best route to progression.
Walk purposefully, and be strict with your run/walk timings.
Don’t be afraid to repeat a week, or drop back a week. Everyone’s different.
Take heart - you will get there!

The Schedule

Week 1 Run one min, walk 90 seconds. Repeat eight times. Do three times a week.
Week 2 Run two mins, walk one min. Repeat seven times. Do three times a week.
Week 3 Run three mins walk one mins. Repeat six times. Do three times a week.
Week 4 Run five mins, walk two mins. Repeat four times. Do three times a week.
Week 5 Run eight mins, walk two mins. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
Week 6 Run 12 mins, walk one min. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
Week 7 Run 15 mins, walk one min, Run fifteen mins. Do three times a week
Week 8 Run 30 mins continuously.

Many thanks
veganbikenut

Re: Never Run Before Help Please?

Postby kallefs » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:43 am

I started with a similar schedule when I began running. It is really good since it makes you walk even if you think you don't need to. The fault I made in the beginning, and that I have heard a lot of other people do, is trying to run to fast. You should not get lactic acid or bloodtaste in your mouth or anything like that when running, the usual tip is that you should be able to talk to someone whilst running. I am sure I could not do that when I started but you get the idea.

Eating wise there is no problem in the beginning I would say, maybe try not to run straight after dinner but since it is such a short time that you are out it will *probably* not affect you. The rest you know from your mountainbiking days.

Let us now how you progress and feel free to start a training log if you want some cheering on or just some place to ask questions.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby vCLaW » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:30 pm

That looks like a fairly standard "Couch to 5K" plan. There are quite a few similar versions around, some with podcasts for your MP3 player or apps for your phone. eg the NHS one is fairly popular: http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
or from Podrunner: http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html
Having music may help, as it tells you when to run/walk etc.

I think these plans do work well for most people. I'd agree about not running too fast. And also the follow the plan to built up the distance/time gradually. It is important to have rest days in between running.
vCLaW

Postby Ruff » Wed May 01, 2013 6:33 am

I did a similar run walk programme when I started just over a year ago and it was great. One thing hubby says....he was bike fit but not run fit....is to remember you need to build your running muscles. If you are already quite fit it is easy to do too much too soon. He did this...ended up injured and had to lay off for 4 months.

So take it slow and steady to start, and get those running muscles built up.
From Katie
Ruff

Postby veganbikenut » Wed May 01, 2013 10:21 am

Thank you all very much for your help and brilliant advice, all very helpful, I will keep a running log on my blog if I get chance and ill post a link to that later on.

I would be fair in saying I am starting cold with minimum fitness, due to the parental early days we have been out of the fitness games and cycling has been pleasure and shop rides so I would be better treating the plan as a new person and progress in that manner.

Thanks for the tip about blood taste, I never knew what that was about, so I am assuming correct If I get to that point I have pushed to hard for my level at the current stage?

Many thanks.
veganbikenut

Postby veganbikenut » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:48 am

Sorry it has been a while since my last post, with a family I do not get much time on the PC, anyhow here I am a few weeks later, last night I completed session 8 of running.

I am now doing 3.8km running with the odd power walk for about 1 minute, I am not timing anything at this stage my goal is to complete my run with no power walk breaks, once I reach that stage I aim to add a new part of my run route to bring it up to 5km run.

Thanks again for all the tips.
veganbikenut

Postby veganbikenut » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:49 am

I have logged my progress on twitter so I can review it quickly and easily, if anyone is interested you will find this using this hashtag
#veganbikenutruns
veganbikenut

Return to Vegan Runners