What now?!?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

What now?!?

Postby Ruff » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:06 pm

:(

I think my half marathon is doomed. It is on Saturday and now I am laid up with a nasty chest cold.

I still intend going to Hanmer Springs for the weekend. And maybe I can change to the walking section, if I cannot run. But I am very disappointed. I haven't run for 3 days. I got sick on Saturday, it is now Monday here.
From Katie
Ruff

Re: What now?!?

Postby ninearms » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:18 pm

I think you'll be fine. You've put in the miles already. I ran 45km today and I only ran once last week because of knee issues. That run was about 9km and 4.2km of that was warming up and cooling down. Don't underestimate the power of a solid base (which I think you certainly have).
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Ruff » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Hi nine arms, I'm still deeply under the weather, but keeping my fingers crossed for the weekend. But you live in Leicestershire! I used to live in Loughborough. Many years ago when I was a kid, we owned the bookshop, on the corner just past the library. Corner of Frederick St. I grew up to the sound of the Carrillon.

Now I am in Christchurch New Zealand.

Say hi to Loughborough for me when you next go there.
From Katie
Ruff

Postby kallefs » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:33 am

Do not run if you still have an infection in chest or throat on race day, it is not worth the risk. Other than that I hope for a quick recovery and I am sure you will be able to have a great time running the half. Or the next one that comes along if you miss this one.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby Ruff » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:57 pm

Kallefs? The risk of what?

It is Wednesday and I feel a lot better today, but I am still coughing.....

There is another half marathon before the winter if I have to miss this one, but this is a trail half through the forests at Hanmer Springs, and the other one is flat and boring ( and popular because it is very fast....and I am NOT) and is an out and back around the airport.
From Katie
Ruff

Postby kallefs » Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 am

Training while you have a sore throat or chest can make the infection get to your heart causing major problems. I am not sure how to write this in English but do a search about it and read a bit. If you are feeling better today I am sure you can run on Saturday.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby xrodolfox » Wed May 01, 2013 11:14 am

Do not run if you have any illness mulling around below the neck.
This could make you much much sicker.

Do run if your illness is strictly confined to your head.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Ruff » Wed May 01, 2013 7:11 pm

Thank you.

Sadly I have taken to coughing up nasty gunk today.

We are still planning on going away, but still not sure about running. Not at all happy about risking my heart. I will go and google information on this.
From Katie
Ruff

Postby hakko » Wed May 01, 2013 7:28 pm

If you train with a viral infection, you can get myocarditis (heart inflammation). Don't do that!
hakko

Postby Ruff » Thu May 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Well that is it. Today is Friday here and if we are going to the race, we have to go today. Race tomorrow.

But I am still falling asleep all the time, I need a nap after doing the washing up, and everytime I take a deep breath I cough like a drain.

So no race for me.

I am very sad, I was looking forward to a weekend away in the van with the husband, leaving all the kids behind. And it is getting colder and the nights are drawing in, so maybe this is it for van trips for the winter now.

Very sad.
From Katie
Ruff

Postby hakko » Thu May 02, 2013 8:00 pm

Sorry about that. I have had races spoiled too, the worst one from an injury that took months to recover from. It's very frustrating but I think you're doing it right, not risking your health. Maybe you could go away without racing? I hope you'll get better and maybe you'll start enjoying snow running this winter.
hakko

Postby silver » Thu May 02, 2013 8:28 pm

Bad timing.
Just got to take the sorrow and move on.
I underestimated a chest infection and just spent 6 weeks recovering.
It's put me back a long way. (YMMV)
Hope you revover a lot quicker than I did. (Stil,l I got to gross out the kids with my bright green lung cheese! Got to look for the positives :) )
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Return to Vegan Runners