Advice please.

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Advice please.

Postby Ruff » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:32 am

hello fellow runners.

I am doing a 17km mountain run...a very big deal for me....on 6th April.
Just so you know I have been running for a year and a week. I started at 110kg and couldn't run 100 yards. Oh and I'm a 50 year old woman.
This is the mountain run...I am doing Lake face, not the full marathon. http://www.multisportevents.co.nz/arrow ... 86909.html

2 weeks before this on March 24th is the Christchurch City to Surf. Actually it isn't really the city to surf at the moment as we don't have a city centre, just a demolition zone, but anyway. It is 14km, and basically flat, just a few minor rises and falls.

I would like to do both but I have no idea about training plans and stuff like that. I just go and run. I have never run 17km but I have run 15km several times, and I run up hills. (today i did the Rapaki Track, approx. 1600ft over 3 miles...and back down again of course)

Would it be OK to do both? And should I go out and run 17km before the race? I did 15km with about 800 feet ascent last weekend. Is this enough? I'd like to do more but it seems to be getting rather near and i don't want to turn up to the race worn out. I don't recover as fast as maybe some of you younger people do. :wink:

Any advice?

Thank you
katie.
From Katie
Ruff

Re: Advice please.

Postby ninearms » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:08 pm

I would run both, but use the 14km as your last long training run before the 17km race. Don't treat the 14km as a race, forget about the time and just enjoy it. You don't need to run any further than the 15km you've already done, especially as you've done it several times and run a lot of elevation. On the weekend before the 17km I'd do an easy 10km but no further. Looks like a fantastic course!
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:58 pm

Just seconding what ninearms said. Two weeks between the two should be plenty of time to recover. It sounds like your training has been good for the main race.

[quote="ninearms"]I would run both, but use the 14km as your last long training run before the 17km race. Don't treat the 14km as a race, forget about the time and just enjoy it. You don't need to run any further than the 15km you've already done, especially as you've done it several times and run a lot of elevation. On the weekend before the 17km I'd do an easy 10km but no further. Looks like a fantastic course!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby hakko » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:43 pm

It sounds to me as you're doing everything right. Most programs for a certain distance only include repetitive, shorter runs. A program for a half marathon would include a couple of 18kms or so at max, a while before the main race. No need to do a 17km now just to prove it to yourself, I think you're already ready and that you'll be fine doing both of them.
hakko

Return to Vegan Runners