Vegan runs 500 marathons

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Vegan runs 500 marathons

Postby Sid Delicious » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:54 am

This was in a local paper a few weeks back. Click the link to see the story with a photo as well.

http://www.capitaltimes.co.nz/Marathons ... by-veggies

[quote]Wearing bright colours puts a spring in the step of serial marathoner Michael Stewart.
Michael Stewart thinks it’s not difficult to run marathons.

“I’ve come across theories that 98 percent of the whole thing is mind-focused,” says the 60-year old vegan truckie who’s running his 500th marathon this weekend, in the Hutt Valley, where he was born and still lives.

“Your thoughts control what happens. I suppose you could describe it as spiritual. To me, it’s a truth of life. If you want to do something and you put your attention on it, you can do it. If you think it’s hard, then you don’t bother with it.”

Stewart began running in 1962 when his dad took him and some of his seven younger siblings to the local harriers. He’s also been a lifelong vegetarian – now vegan – and favours fruit over the traditional runner’s plate of pasta before a marathon.

“I used to spit out meat when I was growing up in the 1950s. My mum took me to the doctor when I was five. He said just give him his vegetables and he’ll be alright.”

So far, he is. At an age when most people are dodging illness or tackling chronic pain, Stewart says he’s had injuries in the past, but he keeps ticking on an all vegetable diet and a short training regimen consisting of running, Five Rites yoga, a six seconds ab machine, and bouncing on a mini-trampoline (called a ‘lymphaciser’) interspersed with ballroom and Scottish Céilidh dancing.

“The running gives me the base fitness and stamina. The yoga gives me the flexibility. And dancing makes me happy,” he says, though he’s still searching for the perfect partner. He’s also busy hauling rubbish with his truck, called Rainbow Rays and a nod to his love of wearing bright colours.

His father, 84, is “doing what he can to help” with his son’s New Zealand record of the most marathons ever run – all but one of them on home soil.

“I’ve run marathons from 90 Mile Beach to Invercargill,” he says. “I’m 60 now. I can look back and say it’s been bloody good doing this. I’ve learned a lot from the running. It’s pushed me into finding what really nourishes the body and to take care of myself. I don’t go to the gym or weightlifting. I can look back now and even though I haven’t achieved much financially, but my Uncle Harry once said, ‘Michael, if you’ve got health, you’ve got wealth.’”
Sid Delicious

Re: Vegan runs 500 marathons

Postby vegan_rossco » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:40 am

This guy is actually a friend of a friend :) people have been talking about him on the veganbodybuilding forums
vegan_rossco

Postby Konstantin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:25 am

Excellent article!!
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Koa » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:10 pm

[quote="Konstantin"]Excellent article!!

+1

But how much can he bench??? :D
Squat - 170kg
DL - 200kg
BP - 110kg
OHP - 75kg

"How can you run when you know" -Neil Young
Koa

Postby runner » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:59 pm

Ok, still don´t know much ...

guess the article is for non runners...
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby drrtyoldpunk » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Runner, I'm guessing the rationale behind posting the link here was to highlight this as an example of vegans being associated with running in the mainstream media. Not to teach you anything but to share the delight in reading an article that smashes the myth that you need meat to be active and healthy.

Thanks for posting, Sid Delicious. I enjoyed reading it.
drrtyoldpunk

Return to Vegan Runners