Mukamuka Munter

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Mukamuka Munter

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Great! I am jealous, I wish I could join you. I've actually been doing some running this year, but I will be overseas when the race is on.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Sid Delicious » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:55 am

Well te race has been postponed until Sept 7 due to rain making the river crossing a bit dangerous. You missed a few earthquakes yesterday Mr Cleetus. We got a 6.2 mid-afternoon and quite a few sizable jolts over the next couple of hours. All centred 35km south of Wgtn near Seddon, which has sustained some damage to buildings, roads and bridges.
Sid Delicious

Postby Sid Delicious » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:35 am

Race day was sunny with fairly light winds. I was coming 2nd for a while, but then 30 seconds into the race I got overtaken by 3 guys. Several others overtook me as we ran along the coast. 12km later and we were heading up the Mukamuka valley, with about 10-15 people in front of me. Several others passed me in the slog up to the ridge. My thoughts earlier had been about how I was considering running the Mt Holdsworth Loop race in summer (23km, with 1200m altitude). Reaching the top of the valley with cramps in my lower legs, my thoughts had turned to thinking that I would have to be insane to run that race too. Heading down to the Orongorongo valley I got passed by a few more people then in no time at all I was at the river, easy to wade across as it was only about knee deep. Cold though, not good for leg cramps. I slogged along Big Bend Track, walking some of the uphill sections. Crossing the bridge more uphill (dammit!) then it was the home stretch (well 6km of bush track) with cramps gripping my inner thighs. I had paced myself so that I would have energy to do this last stretch a bit faster than last year; well that was the theory anyway. The reality was I was just slogging along. I got passed by a few more people, but I had noted that most of those that had passed me were 10-20 years younger than me. I began to feel I was doing worse than last year as it seemed that more people had overtaken me than I expected. The last 2km were on the road. It felt weird to be running on a firm even surface after the sand, alluvium, stream beds, muddy tracks and rocky uneven surfaces of the previous 27km. I managed a few bursts of speed to the finish line, and while expecting to be 15 minutes slower than last year I was pleasantly surprised to see that I had shaved a massive (yeah, sure) 57 seconds off last years' time. I came 40th (last year 34th) but consoled myself that there were more entrants this year. I had probably lost a couple of kg as I drank at least 3 litres of drinks over the next few hours but didn't need to go for a pee for hours afterwards. Lots of stretching and a hot bath made my legs feel better. I managed to go to a movie and then a party until midnight so I feel I've managed to get my fitness to a level where I recover quickly.
The next few days had me feeling like the Mt Holdsworth race was not for me, but now I'm not so sure...
Sid Delicious

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:31 pm

[quote="Sid Delicious"]Race day was sunny with fairly light winds. I was coming 2nd for a while, but then 30 seconds into the race I got overtaken by 3 guys. .../quote]

haha, that's awesome. Well done! It sounds like a great time, as always.

Do Jumbo-Holdsworth! You won't regret it. 8) We ran it a month or two ago in the snow and got lucky and had a perfect day on top.
Mr. Cleetus

Previous

Return to Vegan Runners