Gotta love the common cold ;(

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Gotta love the common cold ;(

Postby Nikko » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:36 am

Well it's 20 days until the bridge to Brisbane and I've been sick for a week. It's amazing how quickly a cold can knock the wind out of your sails. I've only been for my second run since getting sick, managed an okay 7km but I'm yet to push for that 10k, getting a bit nervous that I'm not gonna make it to 10 before the race.
Nikko

Re: Gotta love the common cold ;(

Postby skoptic » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:42 pm

Sorry to hear that - rest easy to get over the cold, you'll be able to raise your game on race day and if you get a chance before great. But it's better to be healthy on the start line, than ill with the knowledge that you've done a full 10k, promise!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Nikko » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:46 pm

skoptic wrote:Sorry to hear that - rest easy to get over the cold, you'll be able to raise your game on race day and if you get a chance before great. But it's better to be healthy on the start line, than ill with the knowledge that you've done a full 10k, promise!

Sounds like good advice to me.
Nikko

Postby ColleenE » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Boil fresh ginger+lemon+cinnamon for 20 minutes in water until you have a strong tea. Drink every day 2x per day. Great for colds and immunity boosting!
ColleenE

Postby Nikko » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:09 am

ColleenE wrote:Boil fresh ginger+lemon+cinnamon for 20 minutes in water until you have a strong tea. Drink every day 2x per day. Great for colds and immunity boosting!

Sweet, thanks for that. I always drink lemon tea when I'm sick it really helps me get over it quickly. Adding cinnamon sounds great!!
Nikko

Postby Adena » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:32 pm

So, are you feeling any better? Still planning on running the race?
Adena

Postby britdoc » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:53 pm

Not personally recommending this, but in the middle of finals several years ago I started to get sick and was told to wash down as much tomato juice and garlic cloves as humanly possible. I took this to the extreme and swallowed 10-12 whole cloves of garlic as if they were pills, with a bottle of V8. I'll never forget as I walked to a bartending shift the next night, a girl behind the bar with me looked up, sniffing, and asked 'who ordered the pizza?' She genuinely thought someone had walked into the room with a pie. I did actually get better pretty fast, as I recall. But stunk like an Italian restaurant for maybe a week.
britdoc

Postby Nikko » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:02 am

Adena wrote:So, are you feeling any better? Still planning on running the race?

yep I feel fine, I don't feel as trained up as I'd like to be but as its a fun run and I'm not typically a competitive person I should be fine. Thanks for asking :D
Nikko

Postby Nikko » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:04 am

britdoc wrote:Not personally recommending this, but in the middle of finals several years ago I started to get sick and was told to wash down as much tomato juice and garlic cloves as humanly possible. I took this to the extreme and swallowed 10-12 whole cloves of garlic as if they were pills, with a bottle of V8. I'll never forget as I walked to a bartending shift the next night, a girl behind the bar with me looked up, sniffing, and asked 'who ordered the pizza?' She genuinely thought someone had walked into the room with a pie. I did actually get better pretty fast, as I recall. But stunk like an Italian restaurant for maybe a week.

Well Pizza isn't an "offensive" odor :p
Nikko

Postby drrtyoldpunk » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:04 pm

apple juice 100ml, unpasteurised cider vinegar 10ml, and tumeric (heaped teaspoon) twice a day for ever! I swear by the stuff. It's not a cure-all but it would appear to be a good all-round tonic.
drrtyoldpunk

Return to Vegan Runners