Help with first 10k

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Help with first 10k

Postby Nikko » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:39 am

I've signed up for the B2B 10k, now I need training tips to get there! Any idea what sort of schedule I should follow? This is my first 10k event, so.............main goal is just to get over the line.

Not afraid if hard work either :P

I welcome your wisdom
Nikko

Re: Help with first 10k

Postby Prime » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:16 am

What's your longest run so far and how did it feel? There's so many training plans out there. Depends how fast you want to finish, how long until the event, how often you want to run, etc.... I found this really simple plan on some website...

http://www.frcols.com/articles/article/ ... /67174.htm

4 runs a week with your long run increasing each week. Take it easy on the long run and just go the distance. Then have a rest day. You could do one of the shorter runs each week a bit faster than normal to increase your pace. I know you can already run 5k, so most of the runs will be pretty easy.
Prime

Postby Nikko » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:01 am

8.5 k, it was last night - felt really easy. The only reason I stopped was some hip flexor pain.

Need to sort that out :p

I really just want to finish, my time for 8.5 was 51 min, I'd like to have an okay 10 k time, but it's not a huge concern.
Nikko

Postby Prime » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:27 am

If 8.5 was really easy, 10 will be no problem. You can probably just keep doing whatever you're doing and throw in some shorter, faster runs to help with your finishing time. I had some hip flexor trouble in marathon training. Look up some stretches for gluteus, hamstrings, quads and of course hip flexor. A good bit of stretching should hopefully sort it out.
Prime

Postby Nikko » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:59 am

Oh thanks for that, the hip flexor thing is really getting to me. I found a stretch to do that involves getting down on one knee but all I seem the get is a sore knee haha. Today I feel like I'm getting sick, my through hurts and I could barely do 6 km, ugh why now??
Nikko

Postby Nikko » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:00 am

[quote="Nikko"]Oh thanks for that, the hip flexor thing is really getting to me. I found a stretch to do that involves getting down on one knee but all I seem the get is a sore knee haha. Today I feel like I'm getting sick, my through hurts and I could barely do 6 km, ugh why now??

*throat* hurts
Nikko

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:22 am

The trick with that stretch is to really keep "tall" and to push through/forward with your glutes. You should be able to isolate your hip flexors if your fiddle around a bit. It can help to do it next to a sofa and hold on, and put a pillow under your knee if it hurts :P Keep working on it though if it is tightening up on you!!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby rebeccaxx » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Hello,

I used to have serious problems with my hip flexors that would come and go, sometimes my leg would actually give way. So I went for some physio. I do what sounds like a similar stretch to the one you described, but instead of kneeling on the floor I kneel on a cushioned chair, which makes it easier for me. My hip issue is apparently caused by my overarched back and weak glutes! So when stretching and running I have to be sure to keep my back straight and tail tucked in and I have to do a lot of strength work and stretching of my glutes, things like squats, single leg squats, back leg extensions and pelvic bridges. If I keep this up my hips are fine. I hope this helps - just wanted to share some other exercises that may help you.

Rebecca
rebeccaxx

Postby Nikko » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:08 am

Thanks for that, I think strengthening is key. Im going start adding some strengthening routines a couple of times a week and riding my bike more.
Nikko

Return to Vegan Runners