Race report

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Race report

Postby Konstantin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:48 pm

Recap: I have a reasonable running record, with a Half marathon Pb at 1:30:22, 2 marathons behind me, and a 10k pb at 42:18, all within the last few years.

On Saturday I did a 4k fun run. My 9 year old son has done it every year since he was 2 1/2, and I always accompanied him, slowing down and encouraging him to keep going steadily, as well as making sure his asthma stays ok. This year I was 86kg not 73kg, had deadlifted a pb the night before and had almost no running in the last 6 months.

Downhill for first half k and I'm urging the lad to slow down before asking myself if it's because I'm concerned about his pacing, or because I know I can't keep up. Uphill and my back starts to ache. The thighs are burning and I urgently want to stop and walk. I push hard and focus through the pain but there's not enough gas and I have to stop about 1 mile in.

1.5 miles and he stops for a drink, I'm grateful for a rest. He's the shortest lad in his class and if his legs were longer I'd be completely humiliated. A flat bit, uneven ground is fine, I'm just glad there's no hills.

On 2 miles we start to go downhill and I pray my extra weight translates into extra speed. We know the course and 300 metres out I tell him to finish on his own. He always likes to go off in style and give the spectators a sprint finish. I'm already at maximum and there's no way I can keep anywhere close to him.

I finish and remember how I felt after a marathon. 21 minutes.

I can make excuses about the deadlifting but I need to face the reality that I've lost such a lot of running fitness. I can lift, I can do bw reps, but running is a specific fitness. Lifting is really enjoyable now, but some running has to come back into my programme, I felt so damn old.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Re: Race report

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:06 pm

Well done old man!

You better get running again and get that crown back from your son before you are not capable of doing so any more! :)

What did he think of it?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Konstantin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:53 am

Ha ha, yes, I'm serious that I'm going to start doing some small scale running. I was looking at 3 miles Saturday morning but I hammer deads and squats Friday night so maybe not then. Big wake up call because I really actually felt OLD!

My lad is not a bad runner, impressive sprinter and plays a lot of football. He was a bit suprised to see me struggle so much but was too focussed on his own performance to worry much.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby baldy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:14 pm

wait till you walk up a flight of stairs and run out of breath!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:28 pm

What do you mean - 'wait'?
Konstantin

Postby ninearms » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:35 pm

[quote="Konstantin"]I was looking at 3 miles Saturday morning but I hammer deads and squats Friday night so maybe not then.

Perfect time if you ask me. I run either side of my squat day and do my long run the day after max snatch and max C&J. Consider it active recovery. I don't think there's much point doing more than that, or complicating things with tempo runs etc, if you just want to get some fitness back and enjoy the odd run with your son. Just run slowly, keep your strides short and your cadence up, walk up the big hills.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Return to Vegan Runners