GPS watches

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

GPS watches

Postby Nikko » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:52 am

I'm lovin the tech side of running with my iPhone, but not the comfort side. I just can't get used to it.

I was thinkin of gettin a GPS watch, but the cost is hard to justify. Has anyone had experience with this?

I'm lookin at either the Forerunner 110 or 210....

I welcome your input peoples :)
Nikko

Re: GPS watches

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:23 am

I have a GPS watch I got well before my iPhone. I couldn't use my iPhone for working out like I do my GPS watch. The watch is just more useful, tougher, and functional for running/cycling.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby vCLaW » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:37 pm

I've got a Forerunner 110, and I like it. It is much less annoying than carrying a phone or larger GPS device. Plus handy for quickly checking time/distance/heart rate. I usually don't use it much during the run, its more for recording so I can look at the details on my PC afterwards.
Note the Forerunner 110 is pretty basic, eg it won't do intervals, and it only tells you the average speed/pace per lap. If you want those you need the more expensive 210. See this previous thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23839

Or if you just want something to record your run, you could just get a small/cheap GPS logger. Maybe something you can wear in an armband. Though obviously this won't give any info while running.
vCLaW

Postby Konstantin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:07 pm

If you analyse your times, intervals, pace, progress etc. they're pretty useful tools. I bought the Garmin 305 and it's pretty good and easy to understand. It stores up to 500 intervals and the transmitter works in woodlands so I was impressed and satisfied. It can also download onto a PC, and comes with a HRM. If you're going to be running and you like your stats I would get one.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

GPS watches

Postby Nikko » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:10 am

I'm just after something to record my distance. I'm actually looking at a pedometer watch that Casio makes.... the SGW 200.

Might be all I need

.......plus I love Casio watches :p
Nikko

Postby lobsteriffic » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:54 pm

I have a Forerunner 305. I bought it when I was doing triathlons, so I needed something that would work for both cycling and running. These days I just use it for running. It's pretty big and bulky, that's my one complaint.
lobsteriffic

Postby runner » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:23 pm

bought my Garmin 110 for €110.

the watch is not to big. it´s a bit limited for intervall sessions specially short ones. not extreamly exact, but depends on your goals. got 1040km run so far. Other minor point is the battery length, but can´t compare it to others.

like the graphics from Garmin.

good luck
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Return to Vegan Runners