What's in your backback?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

What's in your backback?

Postby Ombah » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:09 pm

To all the backpack runners: what's in your backback when you're out on the long runs?

I did my first 15km with backpack yesterday and brought a bag of dates, some water, my mobile and keys and put my sweater in it after getting warm.
Ombah

Re: What's in your backback?

Postby skoptic » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:08 pm

Hey Ombah,

Depends how long the run is - but generally water bladder, dried mango, trek bar, spare top & gps (garmin or mobile phone). I might take spare (waterproof) socks and micro fibre type towel if I'm out for more than 5/6 hours. I've managed to run with a full change of clothes, shoes & towel over to a friends house, not doing that again soon!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby vCLaW » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:50 pm

I usually only carry a rucksack for longer hill runs. In which case, I'll probably take a waterproof jacket, waterproof trousers, gloves, hat and buff. Plus map, compass, GPS watch.
For food, depends on how long a run, and whether I can get food on the way. I often take sandwiches, malt loaf, chocolate, Clif bars. Plus a bottle of water - I'm usually able to refill it from streams etc.
And a camera, if I'm running somewhere nice, and not actually racing.

For shorter hill runs or races, I'll just carry a bum bag. Which has my jacket, trousers, buff, gloves, plus map and compass.
vCLaW

Postby lobsteriffic » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:36 am

If I'm going on a longer trail run I take my Camelbak filled with water as well as my cell, keys, ID, and foodstuffs like a Clif bar or dried fruit or something like that. If I'm in a new location I also like to take a trail map. Usually I don't need it, but there's been one or two instances where I was very glad to have it.
lobsteriffic

Postby daf » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:06 pm

When I attempted the recent Vegan 3000s ultra I packed all this in an Inov8 15l sac (http://daf187.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/the-sac-of-dreams/) :

3 litres water in camelbak.
5 choc Clif Builders bars.
Inov8 Mistlite waterproof trousers.
Buffalo windshirt.
Petzl TikkaPlus headtorch.
Survival blanket.
Paracord, 2m. Weighs nothing and has lots of uses.
Gerber EZ rescue knife. Watch 127 hours (www.imdb.com/title/tt1542344/) and try running anywhere without a sharp blade, I dare you.
Perry whistle on cord. Might wear this around my neck.
Balaclava.
Gloves (eXtremties thicky).
Helly LIFA bottoms.
Montane Fireball thermal smock.
Ortlieb ultralight drysac.
Small field dressing and zinc oxide tape (covers most basic first aid that I might need).

And I pretty much carry the same on my runs to work every day, exclusing the clif bars and LIFA bottoms, and I use a 1l camlebak reservoir instead. Add a phone and cash and I'm sorted.
---
I need a remedy of diesel and dust, something I can taste with a fix I can trust.
daf

Postby Ombah » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:15 pm

I have increased my default packing with a rain poncho just in case. The weather has been so unstable this year in Sweden.
Ombah

Return to Vegan Runners