Do you run with an IPhone?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Nikko » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:09 am

Hey I was gonna start running with my iPhone with runkeeper or something similar, what I was wondering is what apps you guys use and why?

Also what's the best way to carry the phone, on an armband or in a pouch or what. This is probably the biggest issue for me as I was going to get a Garmin watch but if I can find a good carrying method for the phone it'll be a lot less expensive as I already have the iPhone.

Nikko

Re: Do you run with an IPhone?

Postby Prime » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:04 am

I always run with my iPhone (unless it's really raining). I use the Strava run app. It's free. It gps maps your route, time, pace, distance etc. When you finish you can look at a breakdown of spilt times elevation change, all sorts of stuff and it uploads to your own web profile. It tells you whenever you get a new record for specific distances and you can save segments that you regularly run to track your progress. You can also follow other users to see what they are running. I find it to be really motivation, as I always want to run further or faster to get a new record and to increase my weekly average distance.

I tried carrying it in a belt pouch but I found it jumps around a bit and felt annoying so i use an armband and have no trouble with it. If you wear it upside down on the front of your bicep you can read it while running. You have to unlock the phone each time though so I usually just check it when I'm finished unless I'm trying to get to a certain distance. Eventually I want to get a gps watch as it would be more convenient, but iPhone/strava certainly does everything i need for now.
Prime

Postby ninearms » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:18 am

I use ismoothrun as all the reviews suggested it had better GPS accuracy than Runkeeper, Nike+, MiCoach, Strava etc, and it will use the accelerometer when GPS drops. It will also monitor cadence, which was something I really wanted as I try to get my cadence up. Audio updates on pace, time, distance, cadence etc, auto pause when you stop, exports to Runkeeper, Daily Mile, Nike+, Strava, Training Peaks and 5 others. Not free but worth the couple of quid just for the cadence feature and better accuracy.

I keep mine I the front pocket of a small Lowe Alpine waist bag. Doesn't rattle around, keeps the rain off (although i always stick it in a ziploc when it's wet anyway), and I have somewhere for my keys. A friend of mine keeps hers in the small pouch of a gel belt.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby alexander » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:59 am

I also use Strava run. And I put some sounds in my ears while running. What I do before I run is prepare my things the route and all the things I need. My shoes, all the gear I need for running specially in rainy season.
Always desire to learn something useful.

- Sophocles
alexander

Postby Prime » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:04 pm

[quote="ninearms"]Audio updates on pace, time, distance, cadence etc, auto pause when you stop.

Hmmm... that sounds pretty neat.
Prime

Postby Nikko » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:11 am

I tried out an app called Intervalrun it's really easy to program and comes with built in training progs as well. You can set overall time and then interval time or bpm.
Nikko

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:37 am

I've recently become a strava addict and am finding it challenging not to always want to go for the KOMs! I often run with my Garmin, but ismoothrun sounds really interesting, I will have to check that out for my phone.

edit: ah boooo, it's only for iPhone, no Android....
Mr. Cleetus

Postby lobsteriffic » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:03 am

I normally run with my Garmin, but I have RunKeeper on my phone for a backup (my Garmin is getting pretty old and will just decide to not work some days). I don't like running with that app because I like to constantly see my data and you have to unlock the phone every time you want an update.
lobsteriffic

Postby ColleenE » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:15 pm

Except for maybe a quarter of my runs when I am doing a specific speedworkout, I don't have anything on except a regular sports watch. Scott Jurek and other top-notch runners emphasize the importance of being in tune with your body and how you're feeling rather than relying on gadgets for constant feedback.
ColleenE

Postby Nikko » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:45 am

[quote="ColleenE"]Except for maybe a quarter of my runs when I am doing a specific speedworkout, I don't have anything on except a regular sports watch. Scott Jurek and other top-notch runners emphasize the importance of being in tune with your body and how you're feeling rather than relying on gadgets for constant feedback.

Yeah I used to just start the timer on my watch and go, but I'm finding the gps really fun at the moment, I just start it and leave it until I'm finished. I'll most likely get over carrying the phone pretty quick though :P
Nikko

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:01 am

[quote="ColleenE"]Except for maybe a quarter of my runs when I am doing a specific speedworkout, I don't have anything on except a regular sports watch. Scott Jurek and other top-notch runners emphasize the importance of being in tune with your body and how you're feeling rather than relying on gadgets for constant feedback.

fair point, but it all depends on why someone runs. If you are trying to become a better/faster racer, then there is certainly something to be said for knowing your body well. However, for someone who purely does it for fitness or struggles for motivation, anything that helps them to get out the door and push themselves is a good thing! For me it's all about the post-workout entertainment (or depression more often :mrgreen: ) value and comparison between sessions/friends - or for intensity as you mention.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby runner » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Don't run with my bb, neighter with my i-pot.

My only tool is my watch.
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby Prime » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:21 am

Just switched over to ismoothrun from strava run (still log it on the strava site though. look me up http://app.strava.com/athletes/217648). ismoothrun is great. The audio cues are really cool and definitely help me pick up the pace when I'm lagging. Really like this app. Thanks for the tip off ninearms.
Prime

Return to Vegan Runners