My goal is to have a post NOT related to minimalist shoes

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

My goal is to have a post NOT related to minimalist shoes

Postby DC Runner » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Hey everyone,

I recently injured myself and I've been pretty down lately. I've been checking the boards and I only ever see posts related to minimalist shoes and I wanted to try to start a conversation around something else.

I was riding my bicycle to work on May 31 and I was struck by a car. I was riding on the right side of the road between the lane of traffic and the cars that were parked next to the curb (just to clarify - I'm from the US, so the right side is the proper side). There was no bicycle lane and as I was crossing an intersection (no traffic light or stop sign on my road), a car traveling the same direction as I was, turned right and hooked me. I flew off my bicycle and landed on my shoulder. The motorist had to back her car up as her tire was on top of my front bicycle wheel. The paramedics came and transported me to the emergency room of a local hospital. They took four x-rays and determined I had a stage II separated AC joint. I was told that it would take 3-6 weeks to heal. To add insult to injury, a cop came to visit me in the hospital and he "thoroughly investigated" the situation he was not there to witness. He wrote me a ticket for failing to yield the right-of-way. He and the motorist claim that I ran into the car, rather than what really happened. How could my bicycle wheel possibly end up under the front passenger side tire of the car if I hit it? I guess common sense isn't required to be a cop (sorry if anyone reading this is a cop). On top of that, the motorist's insurance company is denying the claim, saying that I was at fault. I've hired an attorney, but I'm not very optimistic.

I went for a follow-up visit with an orthopedic surgeon, who said it was healing fine and I could begin running again as soon as I could tolerate the pain. That was exactly one week after the accident. So naturally, I began running again that very day. And I ran for five consecutive days and I thought all was well until my shoulder started to bother me more than what had been normal only a few days prior. I backed off until Monday, when I went out for an easy 8-miler. Everything felt great until about seven miles in when my shoulder began to bother me quite a bit. I decided that I am just slowing progress and that I will abstain from running until I'm more-or-less pain-free.

This whole not running thing is killing me. I can't ride my bike because it was wrecked in the accident, so I'm taking the bus everywhere.

Anyone have any words to cheer me up? Or any comments?
DC Runner

Re: My goal is to have a post NOT related to minimalist shoe

Postby TarekF » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Have you looked into Bicycle Attorneys? There is one in phoenix i think, its possible there will be one in your neck of the woods.

Im really sorry about your injury too :( I hope you get better and that you win the case
"The best climber in the world is the one having the most fun"
Alex Lowe
TarekF

Postby xrodolfox » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm so pissed of at motorists just about every day.

Not much to say other than commiserate.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby DC Runner » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:52 pm

TRF - yeah, I hired a bicycle attorney. It's very slow-going and it's a bit frustrating because this dude is very busy so there's little communication, and the little there is, is clearly rushed.

xrodolfox - yep, motorists are definitely a pain and cabbies are the worst.

The good news is that I started riding my bike to work and back again. While I was off the bike, I completely disassembled my road bike, stripped the frame to bare metal, repainted it, and put some new components on it. It's pretty sweet.
DC Runner

Postby ColleenE » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Hey,
I'm a long distance runner so I feel you entirely. When I can't run, I go completely cold-turkey depressed, antsy. YOU ARE NOT ALONE in feeling the way you do. Every runner you see out there has also had to stop running at some point for an injury. All the greats have had months if not years of dealing with injury. Slowing down for whatever reason has its purpose. It reminds us why we love what we do. When you get back, which you will very soon, it will seem all the better. Use the time wisely to heal, work around your injury, maybe do some other form of activity that doesn't both you. Remember, running will be there for you again, soon. Stay strong and focused mentally. You can think of it as a test of your determination to return stronger than ever.

Oh yeah, about minimalist shoes ..... :mrgreen:
ColleenE

Postby DC Runner » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:31 pm

Went on my first pain-free run yesterday afternoon. I went out during the hottest part of the day to prevent me from going too fast. It was about 100 degrees and I ran a little over 5 miles. While it was horrible running in the heat, it was amazing running again. I'll take running in that crap over not running at all any day.

I've got 10 weeks until the Philadelphia Distance Run half marathon. Lots of work to do, but I'm optimistic.
DC Runner

Postby skoptic » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Glad you're back out running :) is the shoulder OK?
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby DC Runner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:24 pm

I'm so happy to be running again. I planned to run around 20 or so miles last week. My goal was to start the week by running three miles on Monday, but I felt good so it turned into six miles. This continued to happen through the week and yesterday, I planned on running 13 miles, but some friends convinced me to tag along for an easy extra few miles and I ended up running 16.5. I came out with 53.5 miles for the week. The shoulder feels great and my spirits are up. I'm looking forward to some grueling, intense weeks between now and mid-September.
DC Runner

Return to Vegan Runners