Tips, tips I need tips

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Tips, tips I need tips

Postby Nikko » Mon May 28, 2012 5:37 am

Hey folks,

In the last 6 months I've started to try taking my running more seriously. I've set an ultimate goal for myself to complete a half marathon, no time limit as such but that's where I'd like to be.

As a more immediate (sort of) goal I'd like to be able to complete the 10K Bridge to Brisbane next year. Here's my problem I try to run 3-4 times a week now but the best I've been able to manage is a sloppy 3ks, what I'd really like is any training/nutrition advise you have to offer.

I'm really keen so motivation isn't to hard to come by but I need a bit of guidance.....

Thanks in advance :D
Nikko

Re: Tips, tips I need tips

Postby lobsteriffic » Mon May 28, 2012 3:35 pm

Are you following any sort of a training plan? There are tons on the internet. If you are looking for a beginner 10K plan, here are a few:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/138.shtml
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-238-244-259-13711-0,00.html
http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program

Since your 10K isn't until next year, you could always start with more of a beginner plan like Couch to 5K and then complete a 10K plan after that. It would give you more of a solid base to work from, since it sounds like 3K is your longest distance at this point.

Here is the Couch to 5K plan:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
lobsteriffic

Postby Konstantin » Tue May 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Hard to say without watching you run or knowing a bit more, but I think if you're struggling to complete 3k that should be a priority - increase the distance you are able to run comfortably. Maybe this would involve resting a bit more between runs and building up mentally to a 4k. Make sure you're eating plenty of carbs, maybe eat some energy food (eg fruit, fuel gel) before you start.

If you want to increase your strength include some intervals. Try running 3x400m fast with a 2 min rest, or 10 x 100 metres with a 75 second rest.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Tips, tips I need tips

Postby Nikko » Tue May 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Thanks for the tips, I'll take this all on board. I don't struggle with 3k I can do it fairly comfortably but I guess I just wanna push myself to go further I just don't know how hard to push :)
Nikko

Postby ross88guy » Wed May 30, 2012 8:30 pm

Just trying to think of the most important lessons from my half marathon training...

Enjoying yourself is a big part of the training. if you can get out and join a club or run with a friend then you will not only enjoy yourself more but you will run faster without even knowing it!

Definitely follow a structured running plan to give you the confidence that you need
http://www.runtheline.com/2411/beginner-half-marathon-training-plans
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/134.shtml

Keep a training diary to track your progress and so that you can look back an laugh in a few years time when you are running your 10th marathon :-)

Happy running!
ross88guy

Postby Password » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:48 pm

Hi there!

When do you run? I've tried running in the morning, afternoon and evening, and the moment I run best is morning, an hour afetr getting up, with some green teat and a banana.
Also, it's best to wait one whole hour at minimum between eating and jogging.

Have you considered changing your running route? Are you someplace where theirs lots of people or are you practically alone?
"It might sound naive to suggest that wether you order a chicken patty or a veggie burger is a profoundly important decision. Then again, it certainly wound have sounded fantastic if in the 1950s you were told that where you sat in a restaurant or in a bus could begin to uproot racism..."
Eating animals, Jonathan Safran Foer
Password

Postby Prime » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:10 am

If you really want to push yourself you could always go for the Bridge To Brisbane THIS year. You've got 3 months to train. I trained for a marathon in 4 months having only ever run 10k. I find that if I set a short term goal I'm more likely to push myself. If you give yourself too much time to reach a goal you might take it a bit easy.
Prime

Tips, tips I need tips

Postby Nikko » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:10 am

Password - arvo runs work best for me. I'm pretty well left alone where I run which is how I like it.

Prime - you're probably right there, maybe I should consider that. Im laid up with a cold right now uugghh tryin to shake it
Nikko

Postby Prime » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:32 am

Nikko wrote:Im laid up with a cold right now uugghh tryin to shake it

Gah! I've just had a cold too (could be the same one!). Sucks to be out of training.
Prime

Postby Prime » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:07 am

Also, if you have a smartphone, try the Strava running app. It maps your runs and uploads data to web so you can track your progress. I love it.
Prime

Tips, tips I need tips

Postby Nikko » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:40 pm

Prime wrote:Also, if you have a smartphone, try the Strava running app. It maps your runs and uploads data to web so you can track your progress. I love it.

ooh I do like using gadgets.....for running of course :p
Nikko

Postby Prime » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:45 am

How's the running going?
Prime

Tips, tips I need tips

Postby Nikko » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:45 am

Prime wrote:How's the running going?

Really well, my partner and I have started a couch to 5k program. I'm a bit further ahead than that but I'm liking training with Lis, so it's fun, it's 3 days running a week and I'm doing resistance training on the off days and long distance on Sundays, I can manage a 5k with a little effort now so I'll keep pushing and I'll be at 10k in no time.
Nikko

Postby Prime » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:29 am

Nikko wrote:I'll be at 10k in no time.

Awesome! Sounds like you're doing well. A program and a partner definitely help.
Prime

Tips, tips I need tips

Postby Nikko » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:43 am

I broke 5k last night 6.1 to be exact avg of 7.4/k so not great time but I got the distance up there. Pretty happy considering a few weeks ago I was struggling with 3k :)
Nikko

Next

Return to Vegan Runners