Vibram Five fingers anyone?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Vibram Five fingers anyone?

Postby Password » Thu May 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Hello :)

So, my jogging is becoming quite addictive (got those endorphines going...) and my mother who has been running for years has just bought a pair of Vibram Five fingers 'shoes'... I'm hesitating, apparently they revolutionize the way you run!

Anyone tried them?
"It might sound naive to suggest that wether you order a chicken patty or a veggie burger is a profoundly important decision. Then again, it certainly wound have sounded fantastic if in the 1950s you were told that where you sat in a restaurant or in a bus could begin to uproot racism..."
Eating animals, Jonathan Safran Foer
Password

Re: Vibram Five fingers anyone?

Postby ruckus » Sun May 13, 2012 6:15 pm

i've never really liked running (or been any good at it), but decided it was time to start this week. i couldn't be bothered to go buy a new pair of running shoes so i tried running in my fivefingers. people say you need to take it slow in the beginning to give your feet time to get used to this way of running, which kinda suits me since i really suck at running anyway.

so far i've done three 20 minute runs, mostly on asphalt. calves feel a bit sore, but that's about it. running has never felt this good for me. could be the shoes, could be my bike commute.. i'm starting to like the shoes more and more. i guess you could talk about 'tactile feedback' and such, bottom line is that it's really cool to feel so much with your feet. :)
ruckus

Postby Koa » Sun May 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Highly recommended!

In addition read "Born to run": http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Superath ... 270&sr=8-1
Squat - 170kg
DL - 200kg
BP - 110kg
OHP - 75kg

"How can you run when you know" -Neil Young
Koa

Postby skoptic » Sun May 13, 2012 8:49 pm

Any minimal shoes can affect your form (make you land more on your mid / front foot) and can reduce injuries - but it's worth remembering that you might run mid foot already in normal shoes (i.e not 'need' much form change) - or heel strike and not have any injuries (so not need to fix anything) so I'm always cautious if I hear that they are a magic bullet, or the right thing for everyone.

Having said that - they are good fun, and I've got some - so give it a go, but don't go straight on roads for ages or for a long run without getting used to it first - or the revolution might be painful ;) Happy running!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Password » Thu May 17, 2012 12:46 pm

Just received my pair :)

Yes, I read you have to go slow... I waonder if i'm going to have to slow myself down and force myself to stop, or if I will find it harder to go on?

Oh, beware also, some of the Vibram's are made with Kangaroo leather!
"It might sound naive to suggest that wether you order a chicken patty or a veggie burger is a profoundly important decision. Then again, it certainly wound have sounded fantastic if in the 1950s you were told that where you sat in a restaurant or in a bus could begin to uproot racism..."
Password

Postby Prime » Mon May 21, 2012 1:48 am

I love five fingers. took me a while to build up the distance though. started with about 2-3 km runs going pretty slow. i had been running in dunlop volleys though so already kind of minimal. i still wear my mizuno runners for longer runs but i can do a 5 km at full speed in five fingers now. i find them to be really fun to run in. they are also great for weight lifting as they grip the ground really well.
Prime

Postby Password » Fri May 25, 2012 10:10 pm

Enjoying the Vibrams, I must say.
I'm also reading 'Born to Run', and a guide on barefoot running, which means I am trying to run barefoot... okay okay , I admit that i'm only walking for the moment, but hey, the only place i can run is on gravel!

Man, i would love to go barefoot...I guess Vibrams are the best solution to toughen up first.
Password

Postby ross88guy » Fri May 25, 2012 10:19 pm

I was just given a pair as a present and I cannot wait to try them out! The plan is to take them on the treadmill tomorrow for 3k and then follow up with a swim so it is not a wasted day of training. With me luck!

Running Blog RunTheLine.com
ross88guy

Postby Prime » Fri May 25, 2012 11:13 pm

[quote="Password"]but hey, the only place i can run is on gravel!

I just tried my fives on a gravel trail and it kind of failed. Not so good for gravel!!
Prime

Postby baldy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:49 am

"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby DC Runner » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Yes - totally agree with baldy.
DC Runner

Postby alexander » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:21 am

I've never tried that, but is it helpful and effective?
Always desire to learn something useful.

- Sophocles
alexander

Postby Password » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:03 pm

[quote="alexander"]I've never tried that, but is it helpful and effective?

I find that I run slightly faster and that I am less tired after.
Password

Postby Ombah » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:52 pm

I've used FiveFingers for almost a year now and it feels great. It was really frustrating at first because it was such a great feeling running in them, but if I went to long my body would tell me the day after. Now it feels perfect. The muscles and bones never complains!

I'm already at my third pair of FiveFingers. My first pair (sprint) was one size to big, my second is for winter (flow) and my newest (speed) are for everything that doesn't involve wet stuff!
Ombah

Postby Koa » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:14 pm

I want to get the Spyridons eventually. So far I've only used the KSOs.
Squat - 170kg
DL - 200kg
BP - 110kg
OHP - 75kg

"How can you run when you know" -Neil Young
Koa

Next

Return to Vegan Runners