half marathon training - help!

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

half marathon training - help!

Postby lover of cuttlefish » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:31 am

Hi all,

I'm planning on training for a half marathon here in June. I figure i'll (loosely) follow the intermediate plan they've recommended:

http://www.harbourcapital.org.nz/ZUSER/Training_Schedule_PDF-3277.pdf

one question I have is how I fit this in with other sport/workouts. I play basketball on Tuesdays (which might actually switch to Wednesdays shortly) and have practice every second Sunday, and also want to keep up my upper body strengthening programme, although dropping it to just twice a week.

So what I figure i'll do is swap the Tuesday runs out onto Wednesday, and scrap the wednesday stuff altogether. Not sure yet about the Sundays I don't practice, might use those as rest days.

As for weights, thinking of doing those Mondays and Fridays, or maybe Sundays and Fridays.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

Simon
lover of cuttlefish

Re: half marathon training - help!

Postby Konstantin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:18 am

Is this your first HM? If so, IMHO you should be training to:
a) be confident of completing the distance without crumbling, and
b) have some speed inside you.

These sorts of plans are helpful, but if you deviate it doesn't mean you've messed up your training, and as you state, there's other things in your life.

Your alterations sound good. Key issues are extending - gradually - your time on feet on the longest run/distance completed on the long run, and building in some speed -oriented runs. SO just tweak to fill in. A basketball session may be good replacement for a jog on the schedule.

And if you feel tired, ease up on a session or miss it. Overtraining is bad news and turning up tired on the start line is an easy mistake.

Have you got a training log here? If not, maybe you should keep one.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Re: half marathon training - help!

Postby lover of cuttlefish » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:42 am

Hi Konstantin,

Thanks for that. Yes it'll be my first. My first race, actually. But I think anything less won't be that satisfying, especially to train towards. I can already run over 10k no probs, without having run much. Currently i'm running once or twice a week, so looking forward to the structure.

Thanks for the (a) and (b) points, they sound right - what I should be working towards. Pace is also something I need to figure out. I'm not sure what my limits are. Guess i'll find that out from more practice!

Will have a look at some other training logs and start one, thanks for the suggestion!

Simon
lover of cuttlefish

Return to Vegan Runners