Trail/trekking shoes??

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Trail/trekking shoes??

Postby xJimx » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:55 pm

I'm going to be doing a 3 day 'adventure challenge' in September so need some shoes suitable for hiking/trekking/running through the moors (upto 20 miles a day I think).

Are waterproof shoes with gore-tex a good idea? I usually always run in New Balance & these look like a bargain:

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/NEW708D/new-balance-mt573-gore~tex-trail-running-shoes-(-d-fitting-)/

Are these the sort of shoe I need? Would I be able to use them on the roads as well?
DYEL
xJimx

Re: Trail/trekking shoes??

Postby kallefs » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:26 pm

I don't know about the shoes but if you go for "waterproof" the situation will probably be that you run with water IN your shoes the whole time. I would probably go for a pair of watersport shoes or similar with good drainage since whatever you do you will get wet and the shoes will only get heavier.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby mabli » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Go with Salomon imo, I've got fastpacker boots which are brill and waterproof and very light weight, the xa pro are nice trail shoes and dry really quick. Some folk love inov-8 though but for me it's Salomon, always :)
mabli

Postby ross88guy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:39 pm

Yup, agree that the Salomon X-Trail series is the way forward - the 2012 models have been made to perform on both road and trail so are slightly lighter and more flexible than traditional trail running shoes. Not sure if that suits your kind of running exactly but having run in several pairs over the years, the lighter the better!

2012 Running Goals:
Sub 2 Olympic Triathlon
Sub 1.30 Windsor Half
Triathlon Forum
ross88guy

Postby NatB » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:15 pm

Would they be suitable for Tough Mudder? 12 miles through mud and water in winter. Want something light, comfortable and will dry easily!
NatB

Return to Vegan Runners