Minimal/Traditional what works for you?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Minimal/Traditional what works for you?

Postby Nikko » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:48 am

Okay so I've reached the point now where running has become more than just a thing I do sometimes to keep fit. I have definitely added "runner" to the small list of titles I use to describe myself. Of course this has led me (through constant online lurking) to the minimalist vs traditional running shoe debate.

I'd like to hear some opinions and thoughts on the topic, sorry I know this is a well trod path but please humour me.

At this point I run in either Brooks Ghost 2s or Pure Connects, the later being a slightly more low drop shoe but still pretty cushioned.

Anyway, fire away.....

Nick.
Nikko

Re: Minimal/Traditional what works for you?

Postby kallefs » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:06 am

I kind of made the switch a couple of months ago after attending a running "workshop". I have no idea idea if it makes me a better, faster or more good looking runner but the thing I got out most of it is that I think it's more fun to run now. It might be because I have to think all the time now about shorter stride, higher cadence, look forward and what not and I still fall back some to my old running style when I get tired.

I have a pair of Brooks pure flow and a pair of Merrel trail glove and now I only use either the trail glove or run barefoot. Regarding injuries I think they are almost the same and I just try to use the rule of not increasing my weekly mileage by more than 10% and never increase speed and distance at the same time. I hope this will work for me and keep me injury free.

If you have the option to attend a running class or have someone you know who can point out the wrongs and rights you do that really helps. It not just about landing forefoot, or really about landing forefoot at all.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby Adena » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:15 pm

I've been really happy since I switched to minimalist shoes, but I'm not completely sure why. I'm definitely no expert. I only run sprints, and the shoes I have seem to be working fine for that. They're New Balance something-or-other. I think it's easier for me to tell when there's a problem with how I'm landing. It's not the same on each foot, but that has improved since I've been using the minimalist shoes.
Adena

Postby drrtyoldpunk » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:06 pm

Not sure I like the idea of a running style that's no more than half a century old being refered to as 'traditional'. That aside, I was lucky enough to be coached by Helen Hall in efficient running and can honestly say that all the niggles previously felt with running have dissipated. No more achy knees, lower back pain etc. I originally ran in Brooks Glycerins on the road and Salomon speedcross 2s for offroad. Both are well cushioned. Both would leave me with really bad knee pain (especially the Brooks) at the end of a 5k run. I now run in Vibram Five Fingers on the road or dry trails, Inov8 BareX Lites for the road/wet road, Vivobarefoot Breathos for dry trails (sizings a bit big and tend to come off in sucky mud) although I have decommissioned these to everyday wear after getting a pair of Inov8 BareGrips for any type of trail.

It's not just about the footwear, though. Technique has a lot to do with it. But yeah, minimal all the way for me :)
drrtyoldpunk

Postby Nikko » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:20 am

drrtyoldpunk wrote:Not sure I like the idea of a running style that's no more than half a century old being refered to as 'traditional'. That aside, I was lucky enough to be coached by Helen Hall in efficient running and can honestly say that all the niggles previously felt with running have dissipated. No more achy knees, lower back pain etc. I originally ran in Brooks Glycerins on the road and Salomon speedcross 2s for offroad. Both are well cushioned. Both would leave me with really bad knee pain (especially the Brooks) at the end of a 5k run. I now run in Vibram Five Fingers on the road or dry trails, Inov8 BareX Lites for the road/wet road, Vivobarefoot Breathos for dry trails (sizings a bit big and tend to come off in sucky mud) although I have decommissioned these to everyday wear after getting a pair of Inov8 BareGrips for any type of trail.

It's not just about the footwear, though. Technique has a lot to do with it. But yeah, minimal all the way for me :)

Yep I know what you mean. I run in Brooks pure connect a neutral shoe but really low profile almost a minimalist shoe. I've focused more on my technique over the last few months trying to make sure I land misfit under my centre and not over extending and it's made a huge difference to recovery (to the point where recovery time is almost non existent) and soreness etc. I'm probably going to try the merrel shoes next and see how I go.
Nikko

Postby Nikko » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:21 am

Land *midfoot not misfit. Though I do like the misfits so that's cool too
Nikko

Postby Prime » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:12 am

I always land misfit. :P
Prime

Postby sergio » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:44 pm

I'm thinking about giving this type of shoes a try, but at the same time I'm kinda terrified.

Pros: Starting from scratch.
Cons: Long history of pain and troubles with running (left foot/ankle, right knee).
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby ninearms » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:26 pm

sergio wrote:I'm thinking about giving this type of shoes a try, but at the same time I'm kinda terrified.

Pros: Starting from scratch.
Cons: Long history of pain and troubles with running (left foot/ankle, right knee).

This is pretty helpful: http://www.merrell.com/~Uploaded/Assets ... ngPlan.pdf

There is also an accompanying iPhone app if you have one.

I basically started by wearing zero drop shoes just to walk around in (Newfeel Many from Decathlon, a nice cheap shoe for seeing if you actually like running in minimal footwear before splashing out on something nicer) for months and months before starting to run in them. I also only ran trails as it strengthens your feet and calves, forces you to vary your footfall, and promotes treading lightly (because hitting rocks hard in minimal shoes hurts). At the end of my runs I'd take off my shoes and run the last few hundred metres barefoot, and gradually increased the distance. Eventually I bought some Trail Gloves, but I still use the Newfeel for roads as I haven't been running roads much. My new schedule has a bit more road running in, so I'm probably going to buy another pair of shoes for those sessions. Most likely Skechers GoBionics.

For really muddy conditions or snow I wear Salomon XA Harriers, which are basically Salomon's pre-Speedcross fell shoe, but with the same drop as the Speedcross 3 (the original had a 12mm drop, the 3 has 9mm). Now that I've learned to run properly I can still avoid heel striking despite the 9mm drop (if only they'd carry the 4mm drop of the Fellcross over to the Speedcross, or just make the Fellcross more widely available).
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby sergio » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:08 pm

ninearms wrote:
This is pretty helpful: http://www.merrell.com/~Uploaded/Assets ... ngPlan.pdf

It is, indeed, thanks a lot.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby Prime » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:54 am

Almost made complete transition to VFFs. Used to mix between them and Mizuno shoes. Got up to 50km a week in VFFs..... and that was too much. Swollen forefoot damn it. Had it mildly earlier on and it went away after a day or so. It seems to be hanging around a bit longer now. Couldn't help myself. I like running in them so much that I just kept running and pushing the distance. Regretting it now.
Prime

Return to Vegan Runners