Mountain Race

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Mountain Race

Postby DB » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Soooooo I just somehow or another got talked into signing up for a race up a mountain here essentially in my back yard. It's a fundraiser, all friendly, only against the clock and in good fun, but still...
I don't race. Never have. I like a good mountain bike ride and a good long hike, but I've never, not once, pushed myself in any kind of a competition. Nonetheless, I'm a proud little shite and I want a good time.
It's 2.7 kilometers long, and 1000 meters climb. There is no downhill or even level. All up. It's on the 30th of October.
How do I even begin to train for this???
Best time last year was 37 minutes 50 seconds. Some guy over 70 did it in a little over an hour. I hiked up there once last year and it took me an hour and a half. I don't wanna get spanked like that. Not on record...
Should I buy rocket powered shoes or can I possibly squeeze enough useful training into 4 months to make a difference?
DB

Re: Mountain Race

Postby crapiecorn » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:03 pm

[quote="DB"]
Should I buy rocket powered shoes

A good pair of trekking poles and grippy shoe's are a good start ;-)
crapiecorn

Postby DB » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Got shoes. Looked at mountain.
DB

Postby Konstantin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:22 pm

Run hills. Get an idea of what sort of pace is possible so you don't run hard early and flake out. Maybe you'll have to walk all the way, try to figure it out by attempting similar inclines.

Make sure your glutes and calves are as strong as they can be, and get your heart and lungs working. Do training runs on hilly routes. That's about all you can do
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby DB » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:33 am

Fortunately, the race will be held practically in my back yard, so I can run the actual course. Well, in my case, I can walk it briskly then maybe pick up the pace as time goes on. Of course, it's been pouring rain the last 2 weeks. I guess I'm gonna have to get my new shoes wet...
DB

Return to Vegan Runners