Weight Gain

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Weight Gain

Postby Bounce » Fri May 20, 2011 9:59 pm

I've been running since March and currently clocking 6.5-8K three times a week (and gym twice a week)...

I don't weigh myself often, but weighed myself tonight and found out that I haven't lost any weight in the past month... I appear to have gained two pounds! :(

I haven't measured my waist and am waiting until tomorrow... But two pounds? I have been tracking my calories and only gone over my deficit a couple of times. I rarely drink or eat sweets and have one 'cheat meal' a week...

I am hoping to lose another 4 inches from my waist in the next year... If I keep an eye on my calories and increase my mileage, will this be possible? Or is running going to mean I don't lose any more weight?

I have/had lost thirty four pounds in the past year and feel so disheartened to see I have put weight on again... Please somebody tell me this is muscle, or water retention, as I don't see what else is possible.
Bounce

Re: Weight Gain

Postby VeganGraham » Fri May 20, 2011 10:38 pm

Never mind the weight, are you getting faster ?
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Bounce » Fri May 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Yeah... I am improving and I love it...

I'd like to do a half marathon later this year... But not if I am going to get fat, or not lose any weight at all. I want to teach abroad and have been told I'd need to trim down, as I'd stand more chance of getting a job if I'm trim. Obviously, I have a year to lose another few inches off my waist.
Bounce

Postby KjKranz » Sat May 21, 2011 11:47 pm

The only way running will induce weight gain, that I can think of, is the activity making you more hungry and you end up eating so much that you replace the calories used during the run plus some to a higher amount of calories then your metabolism for the day.

However in my experience and from the literature physical activity is generally an appetite suppressant.

However also according to research, when you add physical activity but no diet modification it very rarely results in weight loss. There may even be weight gain for the reason I stated above.
KjKranz

Return to Vegan Runners