Running my first marathon

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Running my first marathon

Postby RAZ » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:14 am

in just over a week! :shock:

I'm running it with my sister who runs a lot slower than I do, so survival is the name of the game rather than running for a time goal.

I know I havn't posted much on the forum for quite a while, but posting this gives me just one more reason not to chuck in the towel when the going gets tough! I anticipate it's going to take around 4½ hours which is a long time to be running and which is why I assume it's going to be tough even if the pace is slow. Knowing that some vegan pride is on the line is good motivation to keep pushing on.

I'll post about it here afterwards.

Cheers
/raz
"Drink some concrete and harden up"
RAZ

Re: Running my first marathon

Postby Konstantin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:12 am

Brilliant!! The first marathon is an incredible experience and will be a great memory.

Have you trained sufficiently? Are you carbo loading and resting? Make sure you get some drinks, I did a marathon 2 weeks ago and was caught out by the increase in temperature, so would recommend getting some electrolytes in you as you go round.

Let us know how you get on.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby DC Runner » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:56 pm

Good luck, RAZ!
DC Runner

Postby kallefs » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Good luck!
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby skoptic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:18 pm

Good luck .. I hear you slower is not necessarily easier! I always have full respect for people who take a long time because the 6 hour crew are still doing it while Paula Radcliffe is home, showered & putting her feet up!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby susand828 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:32 am

Good luck!
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. (Anonymous)
susand828

Postby fredrikw » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:01 pm

Good luck RAZ
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:59 pm

good luck@!
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby RAZ » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks for your well wishes guys!
And thank you for the advice Konstantin! I have an electrolyte sport drink powder that I mix and drink beforehand and afterwards. During the run there will be sports drinks at the drinks stations, so I'll be sure to have a bit of that.
I also have a couple of sports gel packs that I'll be carrying with me for some extra sustanance towards the end. I have trained using these same drinks and gels and have felt good. We have run a couple of half marathons during our training and they've been a breeze! We've also done a couple of longer runs (26 and 30 Km) which have gone well, although on the 30 km run my calves were getting pretty sore the last couple of km. I hope that this was due to having run only a couple of days before and the fact that we chose a hilly 30km course to run. The actual run itself does not have anywhere near the amount of hills we've been doing during training.

Off for a shorter run now. Just to stretch the legs a bit.
/raz
RAZ

Postby ross88guy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:59 pm

Just wanted to say good luck for the race!

This week is going to go soo slowly now that you arent having to spend night after night putting in the running mileage! You are going to be pretty wound up by the time the race comes around so just make sure you dont find yourself being dragged along by other runners at the beginning of the race. Decide on a game plan and stick to it! If you feel good (relatively speaking) at mile 25.9 then that is the time to up your speed :-)

2011 Goals:
Uk IronMan (Bolton)
Sub 1:25 Half
Blog - Asics 3020 Review
ross88guy

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:05 am

Good luck and have some fun Raz!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby RAZ » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Did it!
Was bloody hard though!
Official net time was 4.35.57 which was around about the time I thought we'd do it in.
Ran half of it with a crazy vegan guy. It was his 484th marathon!! He is 59 and has been running marathons for 42 years. He's aiming for 500 next year when he's 60 and then he'll stop running them. He ran in pink underpants and a flouro rainbow coloured jacket. They call him Mad Mike.

I'm sore now. No probs with the muscles though, just my poor old knees. Shit they hurt!
Thanks for your encouragement everyone who wrote! :-)
RAZ

Postby Konstantin » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:04 pm

Yahaay!! Well done Raz - ain't it a great feeling (even if it hurts)?

Well done. Don't take your medal off for 24 hours, feel smug as hell and have a well-earned few days rest.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby skoptic » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:25 pm

Good work fella! Rest easy... :-)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:18 pm

Well done!

[quote="RAZ"] They call him Mad Mike.

Heyyyy you must be running somewhere around here! Did he have his avocados with him? :P Was this the forest marathon?
Mr. Cleetus

Next

Return to Vegan Runners