guidance going from 1/2 marathon to duathlon

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

guidance going from 1/2 marathon to duathlon

Postby susand828 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:26 pm

I am doing a 1/2 marathon this weekend and April 9th. Any idea on how to go from that to a duathlon(my first) this summer? I started riding a few weeks ago again; I took the cold months off from that. I have ran all winter though so should have some decent endurance.

Also, I cannot for the life of me find what a "standard" duathlon distance is? I have looked at several online and they vary. Do I just need to quit being so OCD about the distance?:)
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. (Anonymous)
susand828

Re: guidance going from 1/2 marathon to duathlon

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:42 pm

The standard distance for Dus (for World Champs and qualifiers, etc) is 10km-40km-5km. But it's a lot less standardised than tris are, so you find races distances of all ranges - and many many that are shorter than this. Don't stress about it, but it would certainly help you to find out what the distances are for the event you enter :P

As far as training goes, it depends on your goals really, and how much time you want to & can spend training. Most dus you would be able to "get through" with pretty minimal training on the bike, but that may not be a lot of fun! Once you have recovered from the 1/2s it would make some sense to put some training focus on the bikes, possibly more bike sessions than run sessions; however you want to make sure you maintain your fitness from your 1/2 training. It's not really an exact crossover from running to riding, so you should expect to need to build up your riding "endurance". You won't really need the longer runs you are doing in 1/2 training, so that should free up some time for riding. Depending on your goals, consider focusing on 3-4 rides/week and fitting a couple of runs in around those, but making the riding your primary goal (for 3-4 weeks). It's really difficult to give too much meaningful advice without knowing your background, goals and timing (have I said that enough now :P )

Dus are hard work! but can be fun. :) That second run can be an interesting time. Somehow a du has very little in common with a triathlon.

good luck in your 1/2s!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby MikayP » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:11 am

i agree with cleetus' 2nd paragraph 100%. since you're training is split up a bit between sports now you dont worry too much about running volume but more about speed and tempo runs with occasional longer ones. i was a runner before i started training for triathlons and i tried to keep up with my running volume with i started swimming, running (and occasional lifting/crossfit stuff) and my performance suffered.

im kinda a believer that the more sports you want to concentrate on you need to get rid of more of the training sessions that dont have any race simulation, ie long runs and lots of volume weeks. this is very general but for your needs right now id say you're good to go.
Triathlon Coaching - http://www.PortmanCoaching.com

Facebook Page- http://www.facebook.com/PortmanCoaching

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/MikePortman

Strava - http://app.strava.com/athletes/mike_portman
MikayP

Postby susand828 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:11 am

Thanks so much. I really just want to finish the first and not too worried about a great time. I'm actually looking forward to doing more time on the bike-a change for a little while will keep things interesting/me growing as an athlete(and I use that term rather loosely :lol: ) The du that I'm looking at in August is 5k/22m/5k-so significantly less than the "standard". I will eventually have to do a standard too though or I won't feel that I really did it. There is one not too far from me in June that is only 5k, 14.8, and then 5k. That doesn't sound like much at all to me, but I don't want to underestimate it. I'm thinking that I will do it as well to get a little experience in the transition. I train now 5-6 days a week(including strength training), so I don't forsee an issue with having enough time to get my training in.

Thanks again for helping me.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. (Anonymous)
susand828

Return to Vegan Runners