Is there such thing as a triathalon with no cycling?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Is there such thing as a triathalon with no cycling?

Postby Bounce » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:04 pm

Ok... I am maybe trying to run before I can walk (no pun intended)...

I have dyspraxia, which makes bike riding quite dangerous for me... I basically have fairly poor balance and coordination...

I'd love to do a duathalon or trialthalon, but I can't ride a bike... It's the outdoor/adventure element that really appeals to me. Is there such thing, that just involves running and swimming, or incorporates something else, such as an assault course, or climbing?
Bounce

Re: Is there such thing as a triathalon with no cycling?

Postby vCLaW » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:48 pm

Sounds like you want what's known as an "aquathlon" - ie swimming then running. There's a few around in various parts of the UK.
I've never done one myself (I'm not much good at swimming), but I've noticed a few other members of Vegan Runners have done them.

Or there are some triathlons that you can do as a team relay. So you could get someone else to do the cycling part. There's a few with kayaking sections as well.
vCLaW

Postby bronco » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:53 pm

I dont know anything about it, but appearantly there is something called Aquathlon, composed of just running and swimming.

Edit: vClaw was a bit faster :) .
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:04 pm

Yip, they are rather popular here, but they are not a triathlon ;). They go by all kinds of names, locally we call them Splash and Dashes and we have two summer series - and they are a blast. But ohhhh can that run hurt! I think they are much more painful than a tri! They are generally pretty short and here they range from 300m/3km up to 1500m/5km.

As vCLaW mentioned you could/should also do a tri on a team and find a biker and do the run and swim yourself - that's a great way to get into them. There are also other multisport and adventure racing options out there that might suit you better.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby benzilla » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:45 pm

I've never heard of aquathon! Over here it's known as a biathlon. Another option is a team triathlon where different people do different legs.
benzilla

Return to Vegan Runners