Can I achieve a 5K in 2 months?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Can I achieve a 5K in 2 months?

Postby Bounce » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:57 pm

I'd like to be able to run 5K in two months... It's not that I have a race planned, it's just something I want to see if I can achieve...

I currently work out 4-5 days a week when I can. I train with kettle bells and free weights for strength and normally do 30 minutes on a cross ramp (normally resistance 10-12) and 15 on treadmill, or occasionally with 15 on bike.

I think I am fairly fit... At least as fit as the average person and I'd like to start running for the summer, as it's something I always wanted to do. I met somebody yesterday, who went from being a non-runner in her 40s, to doing the London marathon! I fugured that if I am doing well with running (maybe I can get to 10K or even a half marathon before the end of this year), I could enter a marathon next year. :)

The thing is, that there are so many sites saying different things about training... I don't know if I should be training for example, every day, as I need to rest...

I was thinking about training before work, as I am involved in some campaigning some nights after work and enjoy the gym... But I don't wanna do overload...

Any advice on this training?
Bounce

Re: Can I achieve a 5K in 2 months?

Postby Konstantin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:42 pm

Yes you can.

Just run easy for as long as is comfortable, then next time try to go a bit further. 5k will maybe take you 30 mins, so if you're fairly fit and doing some cardio and running training, should not be a problem.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Re: Can I achieve a 5K in 2 months?

Postby Bounce » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:48 pm

I just ran 1.25km with no road training... So am confident I can do 5 if I try!
Bounce

Return to Vegan Runners