polution

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

polution

Postby runner » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:45 am

Have you ever been in a city where you can smell and see the polution? Here it's pretty bad at the moment. The local gouverment doesn't do more than advising people to take public transport. Hopefully things will get better over the weekend.

They advise not to do outdoor sports, not sure how to handel this,... My group seems to train like normal.
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Re: polution

Postby SwissBarb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:38 am

A little to the south of where I live, they have limited the speed on the highway to 80kmh for some weeks now, the ozone pollution is quite bad as the weather has been gorgeous, with no wind.
In summer we have the problem in the whole region, they advise not to do outdoor sports except early in the morning, which of course I can't do because then I'm either preparing for work or at work. Some people can smell the ozone in the air, personally I can't and when I run in hot weather I'm exhausted by the heat anyway so I can't really tell the difference :?
SwissBarb

Postby xrodolfox » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:50 am

I lived/trained in Santiago de Chile for over a year.

In the winter, the smog is so thick that it blankets the city like a thick black comforter of itchy lungs, asthma, and a daily layer of soot on everything in the house. Training in that made me ill. We weren't supposed to go outdoors and train, but I was swimming indoors. Still affected me when I did heavy training.

Frankly, I wish I'd have skipped a day and did some recovery or light training instead of the days of hard training in smog. The effects on my lungs are permanent, and that affects my life, and my training much more than one missed day of hard training. However, my lungs are really sensitive. Other athletes never had problems, just as I never have problems with some things that really kill others (shoulder issues, etc.).

Test it out lightly. If you find that it won't really hurt you, then do it.

In my case, I would not train hard at all and do something different, like active recovery.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby KjKranz » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Flying into Mexico City and seeing the pollution fog was one of the most disgusting and amazing things I have ever seen.

I'm lucky to live in a very clean aired mid west state.
KjKranz

Return to Vegan Runners