Running and Scoliosis: anyone else?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Running and Scoliosis: anyone else?

Postby Marcel » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:33 pm

I'm an avid runner. I walk, jog, run and love interval training on the running machine at my gym. I also do a ton of cycling, hiking and mountain climbing and weights at the gym. Last July I sustained an injury to my right ankle that is still noticeable today. Two weeks ago I sustained another injury on my left foot doing simple jumping jacks. What the heck is going on, I thought to myself. Until the July injury I'd never had a single problem and I've been running my entire life.

The first doctor I saw many months ago said "wait a while, then you can run". Because I'm in Japan I figured there must have been a miscommunication because weeks later I still couldn't run. I went back. Twice. All he did was laugh and say "you can run". He laughed a lot.

After the recent jumping jack injury I decided to head down to the orthopedic surgeon in Nagoya, who spoke a little more English. The right ankle injury isn't bad--but running is difficult for extended periods (interestingly, running in my Vibrams was a breeze before the second injury). The left foot feels like there's a nail sticking in the top forefoot near the second smallest toe. I was expecting x-rays. Nope: it's scoliosis. Or so he says. He pulled out a chart directing my attention to the nerves connecting the spine to the areas of my feet I had specifically pointed out to him that were painful. There was, it seemed, a direct connection. I wasn't expecting this at all. He showed my wife the slight curve in my spine which she hadn't noticed before: "it's there," she said "but it's barely noticeable".

His advice was for me to take his recommended vitamins and some painkillers. He also emphasized doing daily ab workouts and hamstring stretches. He said I should recover in about a week which is when I go back, but in the meantime, no running, no skipping, no jumping and no hiking (aren't second opinions something else?).

I imagine that the injuries are 'jumping related', but I can't be absolutely sure. The first injury occurred when I took up skipping. I sucked at it. The concrete floor in the old gym probably didn't help as I understand it's the least desirable place to learn how to skip as there's no bounce. And, as stated, the second when I was doing jumping jacks. Bang, bang, bang on the spine: pain in the feet. So, I don't see a lot of jumping around in the near future.

This is my story, which I thought I'd share with y'all. It sucks because I live for cardio. I love cardio. It's not so bad because I know it could be a lot worse, I'll eventually get better and I'll get even better abs than I already have out of the deal. Lemonade from lemons and all that.

Anyone else have scoliosis? How have you dealt with it or what have you done about it? What worked for you? If you don't think you have scoliosis but are getting some recurring foot injuries, perhaps this may inspire you to check it out. Take care, y'all--and be good to your body!
Canadian chilling out in Japan for a couple of years.
Marcel

Re: Running and Scoliosis: anyone else?

Postby Marcel » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:57 am

Part 2

I have discovered that the vitamins I've received to repair the nerve damage is in fact B12. It seemed quite odd to me that an orthopedic surgeon would recommend any vitamins at all for the problems I've been dealing with. Of course, I had no idea that B12 is the vitamin of choice to repair damaged nerves. What a surprise!

I had the opportunity to ask one of my English students--who happens to be a pharmacist--if the damage occurred to due a low B12 presence in my system. Naturally, being vegan, this is of significant concern. He replied that the damage is impact-related and not a sign of vitamin deficiency.

Interesting!
Canadian chilling out in Japan for a couple of years.
Marcel

Return to Vegan Runners