Forthcoming events and races

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Forthcoming events and races

Postby runrevolt » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:50 pm

Ok I did it. I signed up for my first race since the Chicago Marathon. It's a ridiculous and fun local 5 mile trail race on March 19th. The course is kind of choose your own adventure where you can take the "easy" (longer) route or go through drop offs into sewer run off, through sand bars, over trees, etc. etc. It's good fun and the prizes are really cool (hand made primitive stools).

Team Dandies Racing (dandies vegan marshmallows) will all be there in the mix. We've started posting our workouts on Twitter (@DandiesRacing).

Goals though? No idea. Just to run fast and place in the top three (not highly competitive race). I'm doing it because it's low pressure and will give me a good idea where I am with my fitness. Should be fun.
http://www.runvegan.wordpress.com
runrevolt

Postby Konstantin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:34 pm

[quote="runrevolt"]Ok I did it. I signed up for my first race since the Chicago Marathon. It's a ridiculous and fun local 5 mile trail race on March 19th. The course is kind of choose your own adventure where you can take the "easy" (longer) route or go through drop offs into sewer run off, through sand bars, over trees, etc. etc. It's good fun and the prizes are really cool (hand made primitive stools).

Team Dandies Racing (dandies vegan marshmallows) will all be there in the mix. We've started posting our workouts on Twitter (@DandiesRacing).

Goals though? No idea. Just to run fast and place in the top three (not highly competitive race). I'm doing it because it's low pressure and will give me a good idea where I am with my fitness. Should be fun.

I wish it was closer. Sounds great fun.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby runner » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:33 am

will run a 5k April 3th.

http://www.mediomaratonmadrid.es/
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby runner » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:17 pm

sathurday 10,000 Madrid Championship on track.

not sure what to think will be my second at a track, think it will be hard the 25 laps knowing that some people will lap me once or twice.
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby vCLaW » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:18 pm

I'm doing a half marathon this Sunday. Not been doing much running recently, so I'll see how it goes. And it could be interesting weather - its been snowing a bit here today...
vCLaW

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Standard course Triathlon National Champs tomorrow. No expectations of a placing for me this year unfortunately. Should be fun tho!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby DC Runner » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:32 pm

LA Marathon on March 20.

Cherry Blossom 10-miler on April 3.

Boston Marathon on April 18.
DC Runner

Postby Konstantin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:29 am

DC Runner - how did you get on?
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby JS » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:02 am

I've had to pull out the balmoral 10K due to bad knee - doc says it's due to my knee cap rubbing or something like that and need to strenghten my leg muscles :( Physio starts soon so hopefully I'll be back on track to do a race :)
JS

Postby Konstantin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:45 pm

Sorry to hear that JS. Hope it recovers soon.
Konstantin

Postby DC Runner » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:23 pm

Here is my race recap from the Boston Marathon:

I wanted to run right at about 6:00 for mile one and settle into 5:55s for as long as possible. The tailwind made that pretty tricky as I was holding back and still way fast. My first ten miles were as follows:

1. 5:53
2. 5:49
3. 5:46
4. 5:48
5. 5:58
6. 5:53
7. 5:50
8. 5:54
9. 5:54
10. 5:57

I hit a little bit of a bad patch shortly after, but was looking forward to Wellesley to pick me back up. It did the trick and I made it through the half in 1:17:24. I was able to stay under 6:05s until the Newton hills. Around mile 17 or 18, I began to feel the effects of taking in too much water/gatorade in too short a period of time. I started to feel a stitch in my right side that turned nasty and brought me to a jog for a good mile or so. I was sure that my race was over at that point. Finally, I was able to concentrate on breathing deeply to work out the stitch.

I was ready to begin pushing hard again at around the bottom of Heartbreak hill. Great timing! But, I happened to hear Starship’s ‘We built this city’ playing on a radio and it helped me along. I somehow made it through 20 miles in 2:01:xx and was overly optimistic thinking I could run a 38 minute final 10k on the Boston course. Why do I always forget how absolutely horrible my legs felt the other times in Boston at this point in the race? My legs were on fire and I was just thinking about how angry I was that I made a deal with myself to not give in, no matter how hard things got. DAMNITALL!

At about mile 23, I saw some of the people I stayed with. They got everyone in their area prepared for my arrival and I was greeted with a huge ovation and their 2.5 year-old son blowing on a vuvuzela. If that wasn’t enough, my stepsister was volunteering at a water stop shortly after and provided quite a bit of noise. And then my training buddy and crew just before mile 25 was something else. It was just amazing that I was able to hear him over all of the drunk people screaming.

Everything was kind of a blur until when I dipped under Mass Ave and could see people turning onto Hereford St. I started to pick up the pace as much as my legs would allow. I turned onto Boylston St and could see the clock at mile 26. I remember trying to figure out if the time on the clock was faster than what it read last year. Who cares, no more thinking – just run! Then I saw my biggest supporter standing in front of the Prudential Center with a sign that read "You're the best...around, nothin's gonna ever keep you down." YES! I watched the finish clock as I approached the finish line. Holy shit, I think I might PR. I crossed the finish line and the clock at the finish line read: 2:41:43, my exact time from last year. Man, would I have been pissed if I ran the same exact time two years in a row on the same course.

My final time was 2:41:36, good for a seven second PR. I’ll take it and I’m not putting an asterisk on it either. All I know is that the Boston course sucks and I’m serious this time when I say I’m not running it again for a while. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
DC Runner

Postby DC Runner » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:33 pm

I'm starting to get excited about the fall marathon season. So far, my races are:

Yonkers Marathon - 09/18/2011 (just a long training run)

Baltimore Marathon - 10/15/2011 (pacing the 3:00 group)

Philadelphia Marathon - 11/20/2011 (hoping to break 2:37)

Anyone else have Summer/Fall races scheduled?
DC Runner

Postby runrevolt » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:44 pm

DC - I've added some more races to my calendar...

August 6th - Eagle Creek Trail Marathon (tune up for the next race)..

September 25th - Vermont 50 mile ultramarathon. (this is going to be brutal. 9000 feet of elevation)

November 5th - Monumental Marathon (looking forward to racing a road marathon in my hometown. I'll run this if I'm not to beat up from Vermont. I'm interested to see how all my ultra-training relates to a standard road marathon)

December 3rd - Tecumseh Trail Marathon (another brutal trail course...I want revenge from my last attempt)

Good luck in your races!!
runrevolt

Postby DC Runner » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:15 pm

Revolt - Your schedule looks exciting and tough. Have you done an ultra before? I'm thinking about adding some ultras to my schedule next year - possibly the JFK50, Comrades or the Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim run.
DC Runner

Postby runrevolt » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:34 pm

DC - This will be my first official ultra race. I've done a handful of 30 mile runs as training and a benefit run where I did 45 miles on a treadmill...but that's it. Training for this has been something of a shot in the dark and I'm just hoping I'm preparing properly for race day. We'll see!

Sounds like you are looking at some serious ultra races....I hear those courses are crazy, except maybe JFK. I'd suggest starting with something easier to get your feet wet, but I'm certainly not following that advice. I haven't even attempted a 50k or anything with this sort of elevation.

Oh well, only one way to find out how we'll do!!!

I'm curious what kind of mileage/prep you are doing for your sub 2:37 attempt.
runrevolt

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Runners