Be my online coach for 2012 marathon

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Be my online coach for 2012 marathon

Postby Ombah » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:36 pm

Hello.

I want to run a marathon 2012. I'm a pretty average runner. I do 10km in about 55-60 minutes.

The thing is that I'm really bad at running on asphalt since I've always though that it's bad for the body. But if I'm going to run a marathon, then it's time to start running on the hard ground. I think I need new shoes that gives pretty much support because it hurts when I'm not on the forest tracks. Any tips? I have one of those nike+ things and it would be nice to have a shoe to put the sensor in instead of tapeing it on top of the shoe.

This winter there hasn't been much running. Just 1km barefoot warmup on the treadmill at the gym now and then. So I need to get started right away.

Give me some good training scheduals, tips and motivation!
Ombah

Re: Be my online coach for 2012 marathon

Postby Konstantin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:31 pm

Running a marathon for the first (or only) time is a great experience, from the start of the training to the actual finish line.

Go to a good running shop and speak to someone who knows about the shoes. Ask about support, take your old shoes in and if you're not sure this person knows their stuff, buy nothing.

Train regularly and includ one run a week that is your long run. It may only be 6 miles at the moment, but aim to extend it by a maximum of 1 mile a week. Keep a log of your running - distances, times, routes and notes such as enjoyment. IMHO one speed session a week is a great compliment to the long run. There are plenty of marathon schedules out there, most fairly similar in structure. The main themes are to extend the long run, increase total weekly mileage and mix distance with speed.

As you step up your training, step up your eating and make sure any weight loss is healthy. On the long runs you will need to start eating and drinking depending on distance and weather. Try different foods so you know what works for you.

Keep a training log on here. Enjoy those runs and celebrate every success along the way.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby KjKranz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:39 am

Do not bother with Nike +. I had it for a little bit and was very unhappy. The tracking is very bad in my experience. Go with a Garmin 305. It will be less frustration and cheaper when you decide you hate the Nike +, sell it, and buy a Garmin anyway.
KjKranz

Postby Ombah » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:01 am

[quote="KjKranz"]Do not bother with Nike +. I had it for a little bit and was very unhappy. The tracking is very bad in my experience. Go with a Garmin 305. It will be less frustration and cheaper when you decide you hate the Nike +, sell it, and buy a Garmin anyway.

I would really like a Garmin 305 but it's a too high price for me. I'll go with the nike+ for a while. I don't need exact numbers... yet...

Did you had nike+ shoes too? How are they?
Ombah

Postby Ombah » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:08 am

But how will I (my body) get used to asphalt? Is there any technique that I've missed?
Ombah

Postby Konstantin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:04 am

Another vote for the Garmin 305. There's some available second hand although I found that the saving was minor so bought a new one for guarantee/peace of mind.

What difference do you find when you run on hard ground? As long as you're not getting pains or injuries (which I would not expect) I would just try running on asphalt and keep going. In some ways I find it easier because it's level and the grips is constant. A lot of running is on road and most runners don't get injuries from it.
Last edited by Konstantin on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Ombah » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:43 am

It hurts my shin. Probably because of the impacts on the ground. And maybe some of it is in my head as well since many people have told me how bad it is to run on asphalt. I guess I just have to get used to it!

Yeah, I will get a Garmin. But not now...
Ombah

Postby baldy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:51 am

[quote="Ombah"]It hurts my shin. Probably because of the impacts on the ground. And maybe some of it is in my head as well since many people have told me how bad it is to run on asphalt. I guess I just have to get used to it!

Yeah, I will get a Garmin. But not now...

I had a Nike+ thing and loved it. Its not accurate but its accurate enough and very consistent in my experience. Mine was in a little keypouch ontop of my shoes, worked no problems.

Running on asphalt is not that big a deal, as everyone said go to a good running shop. Speak to the staff that have run a marathon and get them to assist on your shoes.

That is a pretty good 10km time, you could run a marathon this year I reckon. Take a 10 week build up to a half marathon. Then another 10 week to a marathon if you want.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:08 pm

It's also worth spending a session with a physio. Lots of people with minor issues like that (that don't actually stop them running) put it off for years. They then go and wish they did it years ago. :oops: It could be the road, but it could be you. What surfaces to you run on that don't cause pain, is it parks or cross country? Other terrains have their own threats, cross country can be really hard.
Konstantin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:17 pm

You may never really get "used to running on asphalt" like you want to. No matter what it's going to abuse your body somewhat - especially longer runs. Don't think you need to do all of your running on roads; you can still keep up your offroad running for the bulk of your training. Just gradually build up time on the roads - for your confidence as much as your body.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby SwissBarb » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:42 am

Good luck on your training! :D
I have personally experienced that running more than 20km on asphalt is taking its toll on my knees and hips, so maybe I'll never run a marathon, even if it's still a dream of mine. (By taking its toll I mean it hurts afterwards for like 2-3 days and that's already more than I'm willing to "suffer".)
SwissBarb

Postby Ombah » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:29 am

I always run forest tracks (gravel). After long-runs (10km) my legs hurt a bit for a few days but I guess that's natural.

Acctually, I don't think I can pull of a marathon this year. I've never run longer than 10km so i have some build-up to do!

I found one of those nike+ pockets cheap. Going to get one of those!
Ombah

Postby KjKranz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:59 pm

[quote="SwissBarb"]Good luck on your training! :D
I have personally experienced that running more than 20km on asphalt is taking its toll on my knees and hips, so maybe I'll never run a marathon, even if it's still a dream of mine. (By taking its toll I mean it hurts afterwards for like 2-3 days and that's already more than I'm willing to "suffer".)

So do a trail marathon :)
KjKranz

Postby Ombah » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:08 pm

We're can you find a trail marathon?
Ombah

Postby erske » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:56 pm

[quote="Ombah"]We're can you find a trail marathon?

http://www.vansbromarathon.se/ sounds fun! :) or just do a soft start with Lidingöloppet.. :wink:
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Next

Return to Vegan Runners