Vegan Welsh 15 Peaks... the 2012 running version :-)

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Vegan Welsh 15 Peaks... the 2012 running version :-)

Postby mabli » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:05 pm

The last couple of years a team of vegans have walked the Welsh15 Peaks... next year we're running it :-)

Welsh 15 Peaks challenge, also known as the Welsh 3,000's, involves walking all 15 Welsh peaks over 3,000 ft... that’s 48km with over 4,000m of ascent. The summits are Crib Goch, Garnedd Ugain, Snowdon, Elidir Fawr, Yr Garn, Glyder Fawr, Glyder Fach, Tryfan, Pen yr Ole Wen, Carnedd Dafydd, Carnedd Llewelyn, Yr Elen, Foel Goch, Carnedd Uchaf/Gwenllian and Foel Fras

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=170059983090238

Any vegan runners fancy this? Its a tough walk so it'll be megga tough run. We're still working on the details but you will need to be competent in the hills
mabli

Re: Vegan Welsh 15 Peaks... the 2012 running version :-)

Postby VeganGraham » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:53 pm

I'd like to do this, but I don't think combining my ability to run short distances slowly and cycle long distances quickly while learning mountain skills, all within 8 months, is a realistic goal.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby daf » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:05 am

ooh, looks great, the gradient of my current run to work has ensured i have calf muscles like never before, but i'd need to brush up on me mountain navigation.
---
I need a remedy of diesel and dust, something I can taste with a fix I can trust.
daf

Postby Talyn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:12 am

Is there a reason why you're going to run it rather than walk?

I'd be very much up for doing it, walking it, that is.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby mabli » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:27 am

Big Good Wolf wrote:I'd like to do this, but I don't think combining my ability to run short distances slowly and cycle long distances quickly while learning mountain skills, all within 8 months, is a realistic goal.

daf wrote:ooh, looks great, the gradient of my current run to work has ensured i have calf muscles like never before, but i'd need to brush up on me mountain navigation.

We're still looking at the details of this but nobody would run on their own, so either we'll be one group or folk would be paired with a navigator... idealy you would hone up on your nav skills but that shouldnt be the obsticle for you doing this. The mountain skills needed are really balance, basic scrambling, getting used to changing weather, big gradients and feeling at home in rocky terrain, esp in areas of exposure like Crib Goch
Talyn wrote:Is there a reason why you're going to run it rather than walk?

I'd be very much up for doing it, walking it, that is.
We were just looking for a bigger challenge :-) We'd been thinking about doing one walking day and a month later a running day but Im not sure how that'll work logistically. Would deffo be better for runners if they knew the route though
mabli

Postby Talyn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:39 am

mabli wrote:We were just looking for a bigger challenge :-) We'd been thinking about doing one walking day and a month later a running day but Im not sure how that'll work logistically. Would deffo be better for runners if they knew the route though

Oh that's cool, if you do end up doing a walking version of it I would really like to come along.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:07 pm

I know someone who may be interested. What date are you thinking of?
Hiking Fox

Postby mabli » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:04 pm

Hiking Fox wrote:I know someone who may be interested. What date are you thinking of?

Oops forgot to say its on 16 June, ive put an event page on fb :)
mabli

Postby notmilk » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:48 am

oooh yes please! been wanting to do this challenge for a while now - i'm sure it would be better with vegan company!
Will check out the FB page and keep you posted... :D
Whether you think you can or you think you can't - you're right.
notmilk

Postby chloe » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:02 pm

yoohoo so flights to wales booked! whats the update on numbers and the logistics of the teams,..im strong on running and carrying the gear, but not so hot(as you know) on navigation. We could be paired up so have a buddy we need to stick with from start to finish, but also start and theoretically run the whole way with the whole group...? that would be fun and safe :-)
chloe

Postby dublin dave » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:30 am

chloe wrote:yoohoo so flights to wales booked! whats the update on numbers and the logistics of the teams,..im strong on running and carrying the gear, but not so hot(as you know) on navigation. We could be paired up so have a buddy we need to stick with from start to finish, but also start and theoretically run the whole way with the whole group...? that would be fun and safe :-)

Personally I think that paired up is the way to go. I don't think that running as a large group would be effective. The group would inevitably start to spread out due to differing running paces...we could easily end up losing people from the back of the group.
dublin dave

Postby mabli » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:38 am

We've got 12 folk who say they up for it and another 10 as possibles... Loads.. Salomon gave us 12 pairs of shoes :-)
mabli

Postby dublin dave » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:22 pm

Weather permitting I'm going to have a trot around the Yorkshire 3 Peaks next week to try out my new shoes... 8)
dublin dave

Postby chloe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:22 pm

http://www.vegan-welsh-3000s.co.uk/#/home/4561388089

check this fabulous site out folks, looking awesome,-thanks Mabli!
So have participants recieved their shoes and tried them out yet?
Dave did you go out on the hills in yours yet?
I cant wait to get back to europe and try mine out, the pair of trail salomons that i have are awesome!!
chloe

Postby daf » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:44 pm

nope, haven't pulled my finger out to sort shoes for me, nick and aub. i will do soon...before june, anyhow :shock:
---
I need a remedy of diesel and dust, something I can taste with a fix I can trust.
daf

Next

Return to Vegan Runners