My Vibram Fivefingers at 1400 miles

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

My Vibram Fivefingers at 1400 miles

Postby KjKranz » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:36 pm

I don't know how many people here have done much running in these. My pair had it's last run today at approximately 1400 miles.

There's some cool pictures right here: http://www.runningonthewhiteline.com/2010/12/last-run-in-these-vibrams.html

Pretty good for any pair of shoes, especially ones that retail for 80 or 90 dollars!
KjKranz

Re: My Vibram Fivefingers at 1400 miles

Postby Cecilia » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:01 pm

May they rest in peace :)

I'm a heavy overpronator, so I'm a bit on the fence about Vibrams for running... walking barefoot feels very good to me, but running, not so much.
Cecilia

Postby NeoEvaX » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:55 pm

I just got a pair of these. Well I got the KSOs.

I have only gone out running with them once, but it felt amazing. I love being barefoot and being able to run in them is amazing. My legs were not quite prepared for the difference in style of running though. My calves were in quite a bit of pain for a few days. I figured that would happen the first few times though.

Great to see they lasted 1400 miles!
NeoEvaX

Postby Marcel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:56 am

Here in Japan, Vibrams are only available in Tokyo (I live in Gifu, which is north of Nagoya) so when I visited Hawai'i for the winter holidays I made a point of locating a Vibrams merchandiser. My first purchase was a pair of Bikilas, designed for running. They have a little extra padding (but not much) designed to mitigate the impact of the forefoot strike. I wore them that night and the following day and instantly fell in love with the feel of the shoe (despite their odd appearance).

Two days later I returned to the shop (Foot Fetish in Kihei, Hawai'i) and snagged a red pair of KSO's. This was the last pair they had in my size (42).

I can scarcely express my fondness for these shoes. The Bikilas are strictly for running and the KSO's are for anything and everything else. I'm looking forward to wearing these out as KjKranz has worn his out. I know for a fact that I am completely sold on these shoes. The running experience is tremendous: light, easy, and fast. Changing your step to the forefoot strike and the additional work of the calves are the only adjustments I've found that require extra concentration (the step) and care (the calves--don't overdo it too quickly!)

I love my Bikilas and KSO's. :D
Canadian chilling out in Japan for a couple of years.
Marcel

Postby Fallen_Horse » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:35 am

Damn my genetically awkward toes!
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby Giulia » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:52 pm

hi KjKranz,

I visited your blog, it's very cool and informative!
I do have vibram fivefingers too, but I used to run in "normal" running shoes with cushion, arch support and the usual stuff...

In 2010 I didn't run regularly, only a few times. When I trained the years before, I usually ran about 40-60km a week.
Now I want to start over again and thought, it might be a good idea too re-start with the fivefingers. I just don't know how
many runs I should start with and how fast I should pass to longer runs in those shoes, because I don't want to get injured or overstress my feet. Do you have any recommandations for me?

thanks a lot!
Giulia
Giulia

Postby SwissBarb » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:00 pm

I got some in spring last year and used them to walk quite a bit.
I only went running once and it was a bad experience, as I had to leave the road at some point and hurt a heel by stepping on a pointy stone that I hadn't seen, it hurt for weeks :|

But as soon as the temps rise I'll be trying them again for a run on the road.

I have a heavy pronation but I think that running with the FiveFingers once in a while could actually help it, what do you think?
SwissBarb

Postby KjKranz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:59 pm

[quote="Giulia"]hi KjKranz,

In 2010 I didn't run regularly, only a few times. When I trained the years before, I usually ran about 40-60km a week.
Now I want to start over again and thought, it might be a good idea too re-start with the fivefingers. I just don't know how
many runs I should start with and how fast I should pass to longer runs in those shoes, because I don't want to get injured or overstress my feet. Do you have any recommandations for me?

thanks a lot!
Giulia

Many runners use Vibrams and minimalist running as a supplement to their regular running. To them Vibrams are simply a tool to strengthen their feet and help with their form. Others such as myself run exclusively in minimal shoes, it depends on what your goals are.

When getting back into running I would start very slow and very low mileage. Even last year when I started my season over I began at 6 miles per week and slowly added a mile or two every week. I think that was one of the best things I have done for my running. If you have not regularly ran in over a year, maybe starting off at no more than 10k (or even less) per week is not a bad idea. It's generally recommended to not add more than 10% each week, but I think that is even a bit much sometimes.

If you want to only occasionally run in the VFFs and use them as a tool, then you could probably start with higher distance/time each week. However if you plan on run only in the Vibrams, i would start with no more than .75km per RUN, and maybe only 3 times that first week. It seems like a very low amount of distance, but patience is important with running.

One of the major causes of injury in running is doing something new (more mileage, starting to run, hill work, speed work) too fast, too soon, and/or with too much. I believe this is much more true with Vibrams, since it is a far different shoe then most people have been wearing for their entire lives.
KjKranz

Postby KjKranz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:03 pm

[quote="SwissBarb"]I got some in spring last year and used them to walk quite a bit.
I only went running once and it was a bad experience, as I had to leave the road at some point and hurt a heel by stepping on a pointy stone that I hadn't seen, it hurt for weeks :|

But as soon as the temps rise I'll be trying them again for a run on the road.

I have a heavy pronation but I think that running with the FiveFingers once in a while could actually help it, what do you think?

That's too bad. I do not think I have ever stepped on anything that has hurt my feet while in the Vibrams.

In my opinion pronation is given a bad name. It's natural to pronate a little bit. Also your foot strike will be far different in Vibrams compared to regular shoes. When heel striking your foot rolls much more compared to midfoot landing in Vibrams. That's my experience anyway.
KjKranz

Postby Marcel » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:41 am

Can't agree more with virtually everything Kj has to say about the Vibram's and sustaining injuries by trying new things too fast.

I did a lot of research into how to get started with the Vibrams to avoid injury. I found that, as I'm limited to a running machine due to freezing temperatures and snow here in rural Japan, that about ten minutes of running every other day for about 2-3 weeks gave my feet, but especially my calves, the time to adjust to the forefoot strike.

Despite what I learned from my research, I climbed a small, local mountain in my KSO's (yes, it was really cold at first but my feet warmed as the work continued) and while I didn't sustain an injury I did walk away with feet feeling like thoroughly thrashed meat-flaps of pain. What I did notice was how much additional attention went into placing my feet: Kj is right that it's a totally new experience and there's a great chance of twisting the wrong way and hurting yourself--so you've got to really be patient with yourself and allow time for the transition to to VFFs to be safe and successful.

I'm currently nursing a six-month old ankle injury (almost back to 100%--probably in another month or so) from tackling mountain running too much too fast. For the first few weeks--and even months--I imagined the ankle would never fully recover. I can't wait to train exclusively in Vibrams once the injury has fully lapsed. 2011 will be the first year where I completely ditch my regular shoes--except for at the office.
Canadian chilling out in Japan for a couple of years.
Marcel

Postby Anton » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:31 pm

hey KjKranz

that is some amazing running man! I think you might be the man that i need to speak to. So basically, I run pretty exclusively in my KSOs. They are awesome (despite the stink) and I have gotten up to about 11 miles in them. Although i have no pain anywhere else and i love running in them, they do start to hurt a little on my forefoot after 8 miles or so...but nothing unbearable. So, anyway, i was kind of coaxed into signing up for a marathon a few weeks ago, and i figured that i would have to buy some 'proper' shoes to run in...so i did some reseach and in the end decided to go for a pair of brooks green silence ( http://www.brooksrunning.com/green-gree ... lt,pg.html ) because they had minimal support, were wide enough for my fat ass feet (they are weirdly wide) they have hardly any heel elevation etc etc

so went on my first run last week....and it was frikking horrible! felt totally disconnected from the ground, my achilles and calves were killing me, running felt stodgy and horrible. So it seems i can't run in 'normal shoes now' but I'm not sure i'd be able to run a marathon in vibrams. getting a little worried about what the best solution would be. Marathonis in mid april. I was looking at the Vibram Bikila, which seem to have a little more padding, but would these make a great difference???

thanks in advance for any advice!!
Anton

Postby KjKranz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:40 am

[quote="Anton"]hey KjKranz

that is some amazing running man! I think you might be the man that i need to speak to. So basically, I run pretty exclusively in my KSOs. They are awesome (despite the stink) and I have gotten up to about 11 miles in them. Although i have no pain anywhere else and i love running in them, they do start to hurt a little on my forefoot after 8 miles or so...but nothing unbearable. So, anyway, i was kind of coaxed into signing up for a marathon a few weeks ago, and i figured that i would have to buy some 'proper' shoes to run in...so i did some reseach and in the end decided to go for a pair of brooks green silence ( http://www.brooksrunning.com/green-gree ... lt,pg.html ) because they had minimal support, were wide enough for my fat ass feet (they are weirdly wide) they have hardly any heel elevation etc etc

so went on my first run last week....and it was frikking horrible! felt totally disconnected from the ground, my achilles and calves were killing me, running felt stodgy and horrible. So it seems i can't run in 'normal shoes now' but I'm not sure i'd be able to run a marathon in vibrams. getting a little worried about what the best solution would be. Marathonis in mid april. I was looking at the Vibram Bikila, which seem to have a little more padding, but would these make a great difference???

thanks in advance for any advice!!

Hey Anton,

With your forefoot hurting, it could possibly be you are landing a bit too far forward? I land almost flat footed, my heal strikes a millisecond after my forefoot.

As for the shoes, I still do the occasional run in my Brooks racing flats if I have to. I really don't like doing it though, and feel uncomfortable doing so.

The Green Silence is barely a minimalist shoe. I have going to have to get a shoe for my trail races this summer and would not consider it due to it's thickness. One of my first options would be the Mizuno Wave Universe 3. I have never used them, but they probably have more padding then the VFF but actually weigh less. Also Merrell has some new minimalist shoes, as well as New Balance. I cannot comment on any Vibrams but the original designs that I have used.

The main issue is, would a little extra padding make a difference? I am not sure if it would. You have 8 weeks until the marathon. This is a tricky situation and something you probably should not have signed up for :p I would not recommend doing a marathon before feeling comfortable running 15 to 18 miles, which is generally two or three weeks out from the marathon and then you taper. If you are going to switch shoes, I would do it ASAP to get used to them. If you are not going to switch shoes, I would hate to see you build up to an 18 mile long run in the Vibrams and find out you are not comfortable enough in the VFF yet!

Two options, get are true minimalist shoe with a bit more cushion then the KSO's, or go with the KSOs and hope it works ok.

What do you think?
KjKranz

Postby Anton » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:53 pm

thanks so much for your reply KjKranz,

i ran for 12/13 miles in the Vibrams yesterday...and like i mentioned before, there was definite discomfort in my forefoot, but them it wasn't totally unbearable either. Its kind of surface pain, rather than mechanical pain that i used to get with other 'normal' shoes.
I think you are definitely right about maybe landing a little too far forward , so i will try and do my best to altar the way i land and really work on my technique. I think i'm gonna stick with the Vibrams and see how i get on. thanks alot!
Anton

Postby Anton » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:05 am

went for the vivo barefoot neo......have been great so far. marathon next week!
Anton

Postby KjKranz » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:23 pm

Nice choice. They are great shoes. A friend of mine has a pair and really likes them so far. Let us know how the run goes :)
KjKranz

Next

Return to Vegan Runners